SC 3800 in a '33 Buick Victoria

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
We've been looking for a drivetrain for my dad's '33 Buick and have decided the turbo motors are too expensive. My uncle, who is in the salvage biz, has a bunch of SC'd 3800 drivetrains laying around. We'd like to use one of those, but obviously need a RWD trans. I know the 200-4R won't work. What will? Are we limited to the 700 or are there other options? It doesn't have to be auto, but with the SC I think it's preferred.

TIA,
Jim

Other options

Like you said, the 200-4R doesn't fit. Any rear drive tranny they put behind the 2.8, 3.1, or even the last generation Fbody 3.8 V6 will work. I'm installing a SC3800 into a Dodge Shelby Charger and converting to rear wheel drive. Using a Camaro 3.1 bellhousing and a t-5. Buy a flywheel for a 3800 96-02 Camaro (it bolts on,no mods required). You'll need a cluth disk for a t-5, pressure plate for the 3800 and a (long reach) throwout bearing. Like I said it's all bolt together with no special parts, and it looks awesome with a (right) wheel drive tranny. Depending on how much room you have on the back side of the engine you may have to fabricate an elbow to swing the throttle body around to the front. I'm making one for my car. I'll let you know how it turns out. Holden(GM's Australian div. has put these in rear drive cars for the past few years. Go to LS1tech.com , click on the holden message board, look for my post(Supercharged024) and you'll get some pics of the holdens with the 3800.