3.8 Turbo into a 1933 Buick

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

We are finally working on our 1933 Buick Victoria coupe. It's solid body-wise but really isn't practical with the straight-8, 3-speed trans, lever-shocks, and 70-year old braking system. My uncle (in the salvage biz) has agreed to update the suspension and drivetrain. He's looking at a Northstar V8 or a 3.8L turbo. Obviously I'd prefer the 3.8L turbo setup.

What's a good TR drivetrain going for these days? Anyone have one "laying around"?

TIA,
Jim

Don't have one lying around but I do have an LC2 going into my '36 Chevy 2dr sedan. Wanted to do a 30's Buick but couldn't find one that was salvagable that wasn't $50k! So my 3" choptop Chevy will have to do!

Richard

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Hi all,

We are finally working on our 1933 Buick Victoria coupe. ....... Obviously I'd prefer the 3.8L turbo setup. Jim

That will be one "COOL" ride!:cool:

Bet most on this list have never even seen a Buick Victoria coupe? They are one neat '30's car, and would be a fantastic street rod cruiser.:)

Nick,
Most have never seen one because their so rare you'd be more likely to see a GNX in a demolition derby! (okay, okay maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration but not much!)
You are correct sir, beautiful car!

starts the CHANT:

T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor,T/A motor:D

Thanks to all for your replies.

You don't see too many of them, but unfortunately unless it's a perfectly kept or restored example it's not worth anything either. This is the smaller of the Victorias, too, so it's at the bottom of the list price-wise but it's great for street-rodding. It would be more valuable to us as a street rod than a trailer queen. My dad is going to sell off the original drivetrain parts to cover some of the restification costs. He was looking for a ballpark on a drivetrain - looks like $2,500-$3,000 will get you something complete.

Now I just have to steer him away from the Northstar (he has a Northstar Deville so he's a little partial). I think the overhead cams on the Northstar make it too wide for the '33 anyway.

Thanks again,
Jim

Jim,

The LC2 motor will give you some width problems as well. The motor itself is o.k. but you'll have to rearrange the alternator/AC compressor/PS pump. I have yet to find anyone who makes custom brackets for our motors (except Champion,and theirs are all P/S and A/C delete setups). My plan is to remove the P/S pump altogether (the car's light enough and your's is even lighter) since I've already got an non-power Mustang II set up installed. I think that'll leave enough room to move the A/C compressor into the location the P/S pump used to occupy. I plan to move the Alternator up and toward the throttle body. The headers should clear but the downpipe is another story. I don't intend to even fight it. Mine's stainless (THDP) and my current plan is to polish it and let it stick out for the "whatthehellisthat" factor! I just got my crossmember/motor mount yesterday from Speedway motors so I should be doing an initial motor install on Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure I'll know more then.

Northstar, NO! Turbo 3.8, YES!