Saturn S car

batmansbuick

Superhero
My cousin is looking at buying a 95 Saturn S car for a daily driver. Has 63k miles and the 1.9L engine. Anything to be wary of on these cars? Also, do these cars come with R134 or the old R12 systems in 95? Thanks for any info.

Not sure about the Saturns - but my two 1994 and 1995 GM vehicles are both 134a from the factory.

my girlfriend has a 97, has about 130k and have not had to do much but basic maintenance....however these motors like to burn oil, so you have to constantly check. we put in about a quart every two weeks, apparently most people that I have talked to have the same problem. the motor keeps going and going, BUT the interior pieces are cheap and tend to fall apart.

Both my parents own saturns (98 and 2000), and they weren't too bad on the maintenance, except for the transmissions. My father swore he'd never buy another Saturn after transmission seals started going at like 36k. The dealership wanted like $1200 for the repairs, but he called the Saturn HQ and bargained them down to like $200. He's a little more favorable to them after that, but is still baffled about why that would happen at such low mileage.

Also, my mother's saturn had to have about $800 worth of work put in because the reverse gear wasn't working properly. When she would shift into reverse, the car would bang violently backwards (this is on an auto, so it can't be chalked up to crappy shifting habits). This happened at about 40k

My wife has a 96 SL2, it is the first year of the second body style. It has 134A.

The door seals don' t seal and pull away from the frame.

No huge troubles just the hanger that holds the muffler on, the horn crapped out, and so did the alternator. Had to bring it in for warranty work for rust. Yes the outer body panels are plastic but the door jams rusted out in 4 years/50K miles.

Like someone else said they burn oil, I check it every second tank of gas and it usually need some.

One nice thing about it is the spin on tranny filter. Goes on/off just like an oil filter. Compared to the GN, tranny filter changes are almost fun. Some people have had trouble with the auto tranny, knock on wood we have been fine.

Not a bad car for a used car but I think I would go honda/Toyota next time (flame suit on)

Mark F.

87 GN 11.9 @ 115

We own 2 Saturns (98 & 93). Both were bought new and have given excellent service, but both have been WELL maintained (the 93 has 142K and going strong). I suggest you give the VIN number to a Saturn dealer and at least get a record of the service history (easy). Honda, Toyota and Saturn have similar "cost of ownership" ratings, but as you probably know, routine maintenance is an important factor regardless of the manufacturer.
Hopefully this site will be of some help.....
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2101.htm

Mickey

I have a 2001 SC2 with 73k, it has been to the delaer once for a intake coolant leak. Extremely reliable car , only one problem I had with it. I am seliing it due to cut in salary. If you are interested let me know.
2001 sc2
loaded

thanks,.
Ralph