San Diego guys- Any good pick-a-parts?

Squid4life

Hey there, finally back from 6 months on the water so I am needing to get some work done on the GN. Right now I am in search of some decent salvage yards or "pick-a-parts" whatever they are called here on the left coast. I need to find a brake pedal for a vac conversion and maybe just poke around a bit. Any good ones you all suggest. I like to go rummage in the yards so I wasn't sure where the good places were. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there, finally back from 6 months on the water so I am needing to get some work done on the GN. Right now I am in search of some decent salvage yards or "pick-a-parts" whatever they are called here on the left coast. I need to find a brake pedal for a vac conversion and maybe just poke around a bit. Any good ones you all suggest. I like to go rummage in the yards so I wasn't sure where the good places were. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, Squid.
I was a squid 4 an active six years (rent a crow plan). I loved my job as a IWT crew leader flight deck troubleshooting weapons systems etc. on the F/A 18s, but figured out I could make a ton more on the outside...so I bailed at the end of my 6 and just before the first Iraq War. My old house is now a museum parked in the San Diego harbor...the USS Midway....so I go down there every few months and walk the decks, ladders, and passage ways while filing through memories of what it was like to work for a living.
Even tripped my kid on the old girls flight deck once so he could leave some skin in the same spot I did 22 years ago on my Wog Day.
Sure he bled and cried a bit, but....mission accomplished
Thanks for your dedicated service, man! You guys are heroes!

Anyway....I don't actually know anything about these cars yet, or where to find parts for them...so I'll shaddup now.

Tim

Try Neal Stewart he's a junk collector lol

Tim, I have about 11 in now and love it. I am sure I can make a ton more money on the outside, but love the USN too much to roll out. (give me a few more gulf cruises and we'll see though...) I haven't been to the Midway yet, but it is funny my parents were in town and wanted to know if i wanted to go visit it. I laughed and said no I spend enough time on one that I would pass. :biggrin: I am sure I will get over there sooner or later. Thanks for your service as well. :smile:

Oh, and if you want to learn about these cars, camp out and read all the posts you can. There are some very smart guys on here, and even in our area. I got to go to a turbo buick meet at Fuddruckers when I first got here about 16 months ago and it was great! Let me know if you need anything. I have a few manuals, tlink and a laptop, and been through the car a few times. (not by choice...)

Lou, I have seen some of Neals "junk" and can't even step up to his stuff. I still have to sit at the kids table when it comes to turbo buicks in this area. :frown:

Downtown Chula Vista, I believe its the main street exit then head east. You will find a few pic-ur part places there.. Gets pretty packed on the weekend. Good luck

Thanks bro, I appreciate that! I didn't realize it'd be so hard to find a place you can actually dig around on cars here. I am sed to being back in Kansas and parts searching. There you're lucky to find aplce that will pull parts for you, and they are all dirt cheap!

Thanks again, if anyone else has any more ideas or places, let me know.

The only pick-ur-parts I know of are Ecology auto wrecking. There is one in Chula Vista, and maybe another somewhere - not sure. Crowded, and pretty slim pickings after the Tijuana crowd gets done with them.

Good luck!

There are two Ecology's. One is next to Brown Field. Take the 805 South to the 905 East and I THINK the adress is on Heritage Rd. A lot of G-Body's up in the air at any given day. You can go over to the chevy side of the yard too for Malibu wagons and Monte Carlos, same pedals.

Second is off Main Street in Chula Vista, go Main St. East past the auto parks and on the left side you'll see Nirvana Avenue. Go to the top of the street and Ecology is on the left I think. Pick Your Part is across the street.

Another good spot is Street and Sons over by Brown Field as well.

There's also an all GM yard over in Oceanside I never went to, but it's there.