S10 wheel cylinders and rear brake lock up

darkred87T

I currently have S10 wheel cylinders and soft composition pads (all fronts). I was on the highway cruising down the left lane when all of the sudden a lil Hyundai decides he wants in. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard and the back end locked up and started comming out around the front. I had to let off the brake to keep the car going straight at a pretty high speed. Kind of scary. Iv'e made panic braking like this before without the S10 wheel cylinders and soft comp pads and had not had this happen until today. Has anyone else had this problem with this set up and if so is there a remaedy?
thanks
Mike

Yes and its really bad in the wet with a panic stop. Maybe a brake proportioning valve or just go back to stock also bigger front disk brakes may help .

I had the same thing happen with s-10 cylinders, and competely rebuilt front and rear brakes. Little ricer jacked out in front of my as I was passing in the fast lane. I had to get on the brakes hard, and the rears locked. Luckily it was a straight-line-braking situation and the rear didn't want to swap ends on me. Caught him at a light and gave him a piece of my mind...friggin ijit.

S 10's for a long time with carbon metallic pads up front.

Car holds 10 psi - maybe more, have not tried, but never had the rears lock up on me.

At Costco, when replacing the front tires on some of my cars, they told me they will have to rotate them because they do not want the driver to feel the bite with the good tires up front and have the rears slide around - what shape are your rear tires in compared to the front tires?

You weren't out in the rain at highway speeds with your drag radials on were you?

One of your shoes also broke, right? Maybe GNTurbo6 is right - do one or the other but not both (s10 cylinders OR soft compound shoes).

Jim

This is a common thing and why I will not do the swap.
Talked to Lou CZ out in cali the other day and he wrecked his Cherry T on the highway due to this frekin s-10 swap and the rears locking.

I have tossed around the idea of doing the s10 and 4 long shoe swap and then adding a prop valve to the rear brake line.

I say in a DD dont do it

Nah, I wasn't out on the wet roads. I took advantage of a break in the weather.

I have Mickey thompson DR's in the back and regular 215/75 15's up front. I like being able to hold almost 15PPSI against the brake though. Maybe I'll see how they work at the drag strip and then throw the stock shoes back on it.

I would highly advise against 7/8 wheel cyls for street use. They are too much and can cause a collision when locking with any shoes on there. Build a jumper or something and retain the stock cylinders. Forget about panic stopping on wet pavement with the big cylinders. Ive locked them on dry pavement. You will lock up and crash into the car in front of you or worse a street biker that is driving like an ass.

Hi,
I have used these on other applications. They work good, but will take some experimenting to get adjusted right.Also, our cars have puny front brakes,and you need to improve front braking to where they can keep up with your revamped rears. Good brakes are so important,but I have also neglected this improvement. Even on the strip, it is pretty important to be able to stop as well as you go....

I have them and have never had a problem. Maybe if you stop like Starsky and Hutch you will but the average adult won't have a problem.

Yeah I don't know what all the hype was about back then, but according to those posts I should be dead or have a wrecked car by now.

I have the 7/8 [S10 W/C] and the four long shoes and have yet to experience anything that was posted above.

Even in the rain I've had no problems with locking the rears. I do however run drag radials all the time.

I did it once in the rain on a panic stop. Other than that the S10 wheel cylinders work great