S0 you want to buy a electric car

The way most of these electric cars were rushed into production. I don’t think we’re even beginning to see the defects yet.

They're constructing a Rivian plant about 15 minutes from my place.
2200 acres of bullshit farmland destruction.
Folks are PISSED OFF!
The gov gives them the finger, moves the project from county control to state.
They tried to hit us with a $15 B "bond float", virtually no tax revenue. That was denied.
So, they are now transferring $2M for legal defense fees from the pittance we were to get, to defend the boatload of lawsuits.:mad:
That truck is one ugly POS!
Not only the trucks, but 2 battery plants too. 1 Rivian, 1 Mercedes Benz.
A real mess!

I have loads o good 'ol cars, and I also have an electric. It is actually my second EV. I bought my 1st to sit along next to my Dodge dragcar, and my Buick turbo, and my imports... I had thought I should at the least be educated on the EV lifestyle, so I bought a used Tesla off my neighbor (who ordered another new one) to try it.

At 1st I ignored the car, but my family drove the piss out of it. That went on for a month or so... Then I said "what is the deal here?" and I took it on as my daily for many months. I went through the charging learning curve. Went through the range anxiety feelings. Went through the cheers & jeers that came along with EV ownership, and then... After having actual real world experiences... I placed an order for a new one.

I still drive my gas cars, and tow with my Dodge Ram, but having an EV in the mix is best for me today too. I ordered this '22 Plaid for my 2nd EV and yes its fast (9 seconds in the 1/4 @ 150mph) but there is more to it than that.

It charges fast (from 20 - 80% in eight minutes at a supercharger). great range on a full charge (400 miles). Has loads of warranty, The self driving is remarkable (I like to drive, but when its a boring drive from State to State the full self driving is a benefit for me). And its inexpensive to operate.

When I 1st bought one of these I connected it to my 110 outlet. It would fully charge overnight. Then I installed a dryer/welder plug in my garage ($200) and the charging time dropped by 7 times. If it had taken 7 hours previously, now it took an hour for that same % charge. That is real world experience. Today I have an actual Tesla model charger ($350) that is eleven times faster than the 110 outlet. Charging is simply not an issue. And if you get a set of solar panels installed (in my State the rebate makes them free) then you dont even pay to charge your EV at home ~ and it is not a draw on any electrical grid that way either.

Anyhow, there you go. No exposition or profiling. Just experience from one car guy to another.

9DCDFDC1-5AD2-4129-88B0-372B9FFCDDA2.jpeg

I so want to put a plaid drivetrain and batteries in a super light Buick. I think it would be sick.

I watch that channel. He has some good content.

Im talking about putting the drivetrain in like a 2100# tube chasis car with about half the batteries. Should be enough for all day at the track and SCREAM. Thats gotta be AT LEAST 2000#s less than a Plaid and they run 9s off the showroom floor.

I ordered a Bolt EUV 7 months ago and it was just built last week. I'm going to use it for commuting to work and bumming around on the weekends. I drive a bit over 90 miles a day so I'm looking to save quite a bit on gas. Gas would have to come down to around $1/gallon to match the cost of driving the electric buggy.
No delusions here though... use it for what it's good for. It's a commuter car and it's no good for a road trip! Lol Fortunately there are 6 other gasoline (or E85) powered cars and trucks in the fleet for stuff like that. It would suck to have it as an only car. Couldn't go anywhere!
I'm just wondering how long it will last. Will it go 300k miles?

I wouldn't mind seeing postal vehicles, UPS/Fed-Ex trucks, school busses, city busses, etc, be electric. Vehicles that drive a set route daily & can charge at night. Big flat roofs for solar panels if needed.

That should be done first before requiring the public to switch over.

I wouldn't mind seeing postal vehicles, UPS/Fed-Ex trucks, school busses, city busses, etc, be electric. Vehicles that drive a set route daily & can charge at night. Big flat roofs for solar panels if needed.

That should be done first before requiring the public to switch over.
One word. Infrastructure.

You put everything in there but the PRICE?. ;)
Or how dangerous the battery is when they catch on fire or range drop + cost of replacing the battery in cold climate states, and the vehicles spontaneous combustion problems. The marketing that went into these cars when they first came out such as green, eco friendly etc was a outrageous lie and nevermind what would happen to the Infrastructure trying to keep up with charging demands. I'll take a gas power vehicle over electric any day of the week.

I ordered a Bolt EUV 7 months ago and it was just built last week. I'm going to use it for commuting to work and bumming around on the weekends. I drive a bit over 90 miles a day so I'm looking to save quite a bit on gas. Gas would have to come down to around $1/gallon to match the cost of driving the electric buggy.
A buddy of mine at work bought a Bolt and another has a Volt . They both like them because they can charge them at work for free and get good parking spots to boot !! GM put in fast chargers in next to the handicapped spots !!

I think it will take some time, maybe a few years of heavy EV adoption to the point where EV’s actually represent a good fraction of vehicles on the road. The Saudi’s will get pissed off about it and flex their muscle bringing the price of oil way down.

A buddy of mine at work bought a Bolt and another has a Volt . They both like them because they can charge them at work for free and get good parking spots to boot !! GM put in fast chargers in next to the handicapped spots !!
That's great!
The work parking spots are outside.
Parking that shit in your home garage, not so much.

That's great!
The work parking spots are outside.
Parking that shit in your home garage, not so much.
Yup, guys in my neighborhood with Tesla's started charging them at the end of there driveway instead of in there garage.. maybe they got a secret memo from the company lol