?s about my TA buildup.Suggestions?

sixgun86gn

six offender
I am going to be having My TA shortblock started soon after I collect the rest of the parts.The stroke will be 3.625 and the bore 4.00.

My goal with the car is to eventually take it into the 8s as I upgrade supporting parts and raise the boost.Would it be unreasonable to try to run in the 9s on say 15# or so of boost?I will be using a roller cam,but I want suggestions on duration and such.I am thinking somewhere in the mid230* range.

I have a billet Crower stroker crank already and need to get some rods.Pistons of course will be special order to match.What length of rods should I go with on this type of setup?What compression?I am thinking about using stage 2 heads or seriously ported TAs or GN1s.

Turbo will be an 88 when I am ready for the big time.

Cool.Now I just need some cam ideas.I am also thinking about 9:1 compression.What ya'll think?Too much?

Six gun- My set up is very close to yours. T/A is putting together a long block for me. We talked to Duttweiler about the cam. It was deceided to go with a Comp extreme 230-236. When the cam was degreed in- it set up at 227-234. food for thought. Larry

sixgun86gn,

If you are going for easy 8s please go to a stage 2 head.
Trust me in the long run you will be thanking me.
They will flow 80 to 90cfm more and almost never crack.
Most guys with stage 2 heads and and a 270ci will go with a solid roller with more than 240*.

Kenny's cam in "Chow's V-6" was over 270* and about .714 lift.
That may be a little radical but we had no problems with it.

Thanks John.That is some very useful info.I figure more duration will allow the same cylinder filling at lower boost than a short duration at higher boost.Sounds like I will be looking for some stage 2 heads soon.Thanks guys for the replies.This is my first "serious" motor build.

Originally posted by njturbo
224/224 cam will get you where you need to be. Compression sounds fine. :cool:

I.M.H.O. a 224 cam is way too small for what you want to do,call Ken duttweiler(if you can get him on the phone)and he will give you some ideas to think about.

My cheesy friend is right call before 9:00am Pacific and talk to Kenny or Nick will get the information from Kenny to you!

805-659-3648

SixGun- just so I don't miss lead you, My goal is mid 9's at this time. One day I will set up for the 8's and that my change a few things. But- I think this cam will get me along way towards that end and be good for my current goal also. Larry

My goal is to get everything I need to go 8s and then run low10s at first and work my way up to 8s.I do not think I will just jump in and run in the 8s.I have never ridden in anything faster than low 10s so I don't want to go balls to the wall from the start.I want to grow into it.Then when I hit the 8s,I will turn it down to run mid 9s or so and put the goon tune on it only when I am really looking to bust some butt.I think it will last longer that way,and might even make some money too.Thanks all.

Would it be unreasonable to try to run in the 9s on say 15# or so of boost?

With 270+ ci and and SII head w/ a decent size roller, that is a cake walk. My old on-center SII car was in the low 6's (1/8th) on 12 psi. Had a 4-bolt 88, SII heads, and a 240-ish duration solid roller.

HTH

Originally posted by Larry
SixGun- just so I don't miss lead you, My goal is mid 9's at this time. One day I will set up for the 8's and that my change a few things. But- I think this cam will get me along way towards that end and be good for my current goal also. Larry
It depends on what "short term" is. If short term is 2-3 years then you'll need to freshen the motor anyway. In my opinion build it once. Use S2 heads and a good cam. My motor will do high 8's, both Kenny D. said it when built and Bob at RPE said the same thing when he refreshed it last season. Both said the turbo is what's holding it back. I say that's what's holding it together and keeping me out of trouble. My cam is a Dutt grind, 248 duration, 650 lift. With a T-76 I went 9.60 at 23 psi in 88-degree weather. I then backed it up a few weeks later on 21.5 psi of boost in 50-degree weather but with a better short time. If I crank it to 26 psi I should be able to pop off a high 9.4. Go to an 88 turbo and I should have a high 8 at relatively low boost for an 88. The turbo is easy, it's all the other stuff you only want to buy once. I use the smaller turbo because it's more consistent and never a spool-up problem. Very consistent regardless of a temp change. I'm usually within 2 hundredths on any given day.

Art.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
It depends on what "short term" is. If short term is 2-3 years then you'll need to freshen the motor anyway. In my opinion build it once. Use S2 heads and a good cam. My motor will do high 8's, both Kenny D. said it when built and Bob at RPE said the same thing when he refreshed it last season. Both said the turbo is what's holding it back. I say that's what's holding it together and keeping me out of trouble. My cam is a Dutt grind, 248 duration, 650 lift. With a T-76 I went 9.60 at 23 psi in 88-degree weather. I then backed it up a few weeks later on 21.5 psi of boost in 50-degree weather but with a better short time. If I crank it to 26 psi I should be able to pop off a high 9.4. Go to an 88 turbo and I should have a high 8 at relatively low boost for an 88. The turbo is easy, it's all the other stuff you only want to buy once. I use the smaller turbo because it's more consistent and never a spool-up problem. Very consistent regardless of a temp change. I'm usually within 2 hundredths on any given day.

Art.
Thanks for the advise Art-This will make it into my note book. :) Larry

Re: stage II heads

Originally posted by Melvin Thomas
I have a set of Stage II heads for you
mthomas@chpdm.umbc.edu
Thanks, but- This motor is coming with T/A's new heads on it. Is there a big difference in the flow #'s? The T/A head flowed at 255 intake and 206-210 exhaust - Larry:confused:

I good set up Stage 2s wil be in the 340 CFM range.
Some are a little higher.