RX7 Front Brake Upgrade

2turboRX7

Do any of you know what is needed to converter my '89 single piston front brakes to the 4 piston Turbo II calipers? Do I need brackets, brake lines, etc.? TIA

calipers, rotors, not sure what else. Check with the guys over at rx7club.com

You'd think Id know since Ive owned a few of them, but Im not sure off hand since your car is an 89. Calipers aren't that pricy if you know someone who can get them for you at cost through your mazda dealer, or an auto parts store. Rotors are somewhat pricy though...

later,
Chris~

I answered your question on the other forum where you posted this question last week.

Typically for $200-250 you can change all four corners to the 5 lug 4 piston style front with vented rotors and vented rotor style rears. The Turbo 2 and GXL models had these. rx7club.com is your best bet for finding them in the wanted section and for sale sections.

It is easily to simply unbolt the spindle from the front strut and attach the complete 5 lug 4 piston caliper assembly (rotor/piston/spindle etc). You need the hard brake lines from the T2/GXL setup up front from just after where they enter the inner fender (outside engine compartment). The rear brake lines are the same. Since this car is nearly 20 years old it would be a good idea to upgrade to s/s braided lines for about $109 from most vendors.

For some reason every time I did this to my FC RX-7's I had to replace the master cylinder at the same time as I could never get it to build pressure. Plan on getting one of these also.