Rusted A Pillar T-Top car.

djj624

pa120588.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Anyone know what would have caused this? Or ever seen anything like it. Dont know if the car is structurally screwed or what. Almost looks like someone put the T-Top on themselves. My main questions are is it repairable, structurally safe if repaired, and how would you go about repairing. Yes this car was for sale but i decided on keeping it, and know i want to make sure i made the right decision.

Thanks

Not sure if the t-top cause this or leaking windshield.All I can tell you is there is foam in those A-pillar. It looks like weatherstripping and If any water gets in it act`s as a sponge. I have seen both hard top and t-top with rust in this area. I pretty sure it can be fixed...easily

rust

the doors will have to come off and possibly the fenders. I have a car like that and the rust spot that I think started it is where the t of the tops meet at the windshield because I have identical rust spots at the bottom of both pillars.

Yeah well your t top roof is prolly shot too ask me how i know..It took me 5 years to find a reasonably priced t top car to replace mine when the roof seperated from the a pillar it had rusted so bad inside out..Mine started as a rust spot the size of a dime pull the interior pieces around the roof and the metal plates under your t tops and inspect ...Hopefully ur luck is better than mine was!!!!

t tops are awesome, aren't they?

No. I wanted a hardtop. The hardtops I looked at either were coated with tire rubber under the back,or they had the digital dash and were disgustingly 'unsanitary'.

Then I found the '87 t-top GN I have now. A GE executive needed some $$. Now it's mine and in good hands

Yes! I have the same issue as this thread is describing. My issue in that door jamb looks almost the same.

I'll be watching.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. ....but I wanted a hardtop!

Safe to say hardtops rule.

You may think so... But you know what? If I pull too far under a traffic light,I can look up thru the glass and see when the light changes.
Plus.. I can put things up there without scratching the paint! Ha. Oh,well.

I have seen hardtop Regals with rust/cracks in that area.

If that door jamb was really bad to where it wouldn't support the doors,I'll bet that whole section could be replaced. "If man made it,man can fix it."

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. <-but wanted a htop. Less complication leads to less problems. ?

They all have their drawbacks. Astroroofs can leak and rust too, and parts can be hard to find. Hardtops can crack at the b pillar, and headliner replacement in a hardtop is harder and when it sags on your head it makes you REALLY want to fix it.

it may rattle, whistle, and moan like crazy at 75 on a bumpy road, but considering its typically a nice weather driver, i wouldn't trade my t-tops for hardtop any day of the week. nothin quite as satisfying as a topless summer day with an obnoxiously loud turbo whistle to boot :)

it may rattle, whistle, and moan like crazy at 75 on a bumpy road, but considering its typically a nice weather driver, i wouldn't trade my t-tops for hardtop any day of the week. nothin quite as satisfying as a topless summer day with an obnoxiously loud turbo whistle to boot :)

Yeh , but did you see the pics of the rust. I think it's going to rattle a little more than you might think. Looks like maybe the door might fall off going down that bumpy road going 75mph!!! By the way you have all the right mods done on your ttop car. That's all they need. Maybe better cam and springs but sounds fast.

I love my t-tops and they def add a wow factor when there removed. I wouldn't even consider a hardtop when I was shopping around. Me and my dad also have a 8k mile orig near concourse 87 GN hardtop, we bought it because it was so amazingly mint but he also says all the time I wish it had t-tops. I guess to each there own, I guess it will look like a sleeper when my stoker is completed and the tops are off.

There is a reason why GNX's had no T-Tops. I believe the G-Body was never really designed from the beginning to have T-Tops especially with all that power that came later in the last 2 model years.

Hardtop,t-top,astroroof they all will rust. I have seen hardtops look the same. The tops of the windshield leak into the upper roof frame and down the a pillar. You will have to pull the headliner,t-top parts and trim ,door ,fender,hood. I would pull the windshield to if you want it done right. I poured aircraft stripper down the a pillars to burn out that foam they put in there and then sprayed in rust encapsulator and ran new hoses for the astro top. There no such thing as a rust free g-body. Cut your inner rockers open on your rust free car and you will cry. They built thses cars like sh!t. strip the seam sealer out of any panel on one of these cars and walla there is rust. I would pull the carpet and inspect the floors also. and dont be surprised if the driver side looks like that to. I want to see what the cross section of the roof looks like with all the trim off. It can be fixed but you might need a donor car . keep the pics coming

There is a reason why GNX's had no T-Tops. I believe the G-Body was never really designed from the beginning to have T-Tops especially with all that power that came later in the last 2 model years.

69 Old Cutlass 442. 455 cu inch/380 hp. CONVERTIBLE Not much roof structure there. Doesn't help your argument much.