running open downpipe

not running an open pipe on an 84-5 car, but have ran the dump open on my '86.
postitive- turbo sounds good & loud, really catch peoples attention,
negative- here piggy,piggy,piggy- you're just asking for a ticket.
and after a while the drone and volume will get old
(trust me it will)

With the stock turbo it wasn't "that" bad. With the bigger turbos, it gets louder. One interesting note, it's much quieter with the 3" DP than the stock unit when open.

i meant is it bad for the turbo or the motor.. i hear u can pick up a pount or 2 of boost... it does feel a little faster...

open dump

With a good free flowing exhaust, ie 3" straight through muffler design, there will be little or no gain. I ran an open dump and actually slowed down 2 tenths. But the turbo sounds wicked spooling.

No it won't hurt anything. Just really loud and gets peoples attention. I am running a 3" mease downpipe. :biggrin:

on a 84 does a 3" downpipe make that big of a difference? ive heard that it would flow too much and slow it down

XcessiveBoost said:
on a 84 does a 3" downpipe make that big of a difference? ive heard that it would flow too much and slow it down

The DP on an 84 is worse than an 87. You would get a bigger gain from a DP on an 84. Flow too much and slow it down???? Not on a turbo car.

now my syclone neighbor is telling me that since i dont have a external wastegate that running od is going to blow the motor up....

now what about the uppipe? is it worth going 3in on that too? should i just cutting the fittings off the old plumbing? to the turbo i mean.

Turbos create backpressure. So running a open downpipe will not hurt anything. It can let fumes in the car from it running directly underneath the car. But Your motor is not going to blow up from simply running a open downpipe.

Just buy a aftermarket up-pipe for the car. I will say adding a uppipe and downpipe to the car really woke the car up. It was a pig before and now it will roll into boost in first gear and breaks the tires loose.

Your neighbor might be talking about boost creep with a bigger DP. It shouldn't be a problem for you. The DP will free up the exhaust and you might gain a few psi boost but you can always turn it down. Just roll into the gas easy the first time you try it out.

I remember taking the high flow Random Technology cat off my dad's 10sec GN and picking up 6psi the first time he got on it.

I run open exhaust on mine. got 3 more psi. watch for knock. Other than that It wont hurt anything. :)