Running Direct Scan

jns

Sorry, the scan tool tech forums look dead.lol I have an old IBM Thinkpad R30 laptop with direct scan installed. When I try to open it, it says the E drive is not accessible. No drives on this computer work at all. I can go to the Chuengineering website and download the program but can't open it since it tries to read the E drive. I tried changing it to the C drive but no luck. Got to be an easy fix. How can I start the program by MS-DOS or Windows 98? Thanks!

Where are you putting it when you download it?????

it is a pur dos program mine work great on my thinkpad with win98 I reboot it in dos mode
install and start it as old school dos program

Just putting it in My Documents with a shortcut on the desktop. What are the MSDOS commands to start it? I did a restart in MSDOS but couldn't get the right command to open it. Tried DS.EXE and several others but no luck. Thanks and please excuse my ignorance.: )

Duh. Just noticed it's a zip file so I had to find an old compatible WinZip program for it and now it works in Windows 98. What are the MS-DOS commands to start when I restart in MS-DOS mode? The prompt says C:\WINDOWS> when I restart in MS-DOS mode. Is there a way to start MS-DOS without it recognizing Windows or is that normal?

c:\windows is the path. Most of the commands can be found by typing 'help' at the dos prompt.

Is it truly starting in DOS upon bootup? If you locate the autoexec.bat you can edit it to run the DS.EXE when you boot.

I had typed it the three lines in the autoexec from an older post I found but it won't boot directly into Direct Scan. I started the direct scan and when the graph display comes up, I get a "Hardware timed out" error over and over. What now? Thanks for all your help so far!

I pulled the connector out of the ecm just a little but it didn't help

Go to the msdos prompt.

when you are at c:\windows>, type in cd/ds or cd\ds i think its the first one, don't remember which way the slash goes anymore. cd stands for change directory which puts you to the ds directory. from there type in ds.exe

You may have to actually install that program while in dos mode. I used to know dos kinda sorta but the human brain tends to erase things it doesn't need anymore. My antique laptop with directscan is in the trunk of my buick in another town right now or i'd load it up and trial and error my way back through all those dos commands for old time's sake. I think mom and dad still have the tandy 1000 in the shed, i wonder if that bitch will fire up, lol there were some fun and simple games back then.

the cable to the ecm has nothing to do with it at this point. It's all in getting the program booted in the laptop.

Go to the msdos prompt.

when you are at c:\windows>, type in cd/ds or cd\ds i think its the first one, don't remember which way the slash goes anymore. cd stands for change directory which puts you to the ds directory. from there type in ds.exe

You may have to actually install that program while in dos mode. I used to know dos kinda sorta but the human brain tends to erase things it doesn't need anymore. My antique laptop with directscan is in the trunk of my buick in another town right now or i'd load it up and trial and error my way back through all those dos commands for old time's sake. I think mom and dad still have the tandy 1000 in the shed, i wonder if that bitch will fire up, lol there were some fun and simple games back then.

the cable to the ecm has nothing to do with it at this point. It's all in getting the program booted in the laptop.

Ok, thanks. lol....Tandy 1000....that was from Radio Shack, right? I had a few different Tandy hand-held games back in the 80s. I'll try to mess with the DS again tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

As soon as you reboot into DOS mode it will take you to the Windows directory. That is where you type in CD\ which means "Change Directory" back to the root(I believe) or you can type CD.. which does the same. From there you can type dir/p which will show you all the directories and pauses at the end of each page, hit enter to continue through all that is listed. Check to see that your DS directory is present. Type CD DS or CD\DS, this Changes you to the Direct Scan directory. Once in it, if you want to get out type CD.. which will take you back one directory. The DS directory will look like C:\DS> or what ever drive you have it saved on. Once in C:\DS> just type in DS, you don't have to type DS.exe. The exe extension just means it is executable.

Hmmm....I got to the CD:\DS> prompt but when I put in CD:\DS>DS, it says "Bad command or file name." I checked the DS folder and the DS program is the only program in there. I can open Direct Scan in Windows 98 and it now runs after cleaning the ECM contacts but has some screwy numbers such as showing 15 mph at idle and 63 on the knock counts no matter what engine speed, etc. When I open the DS folder, the DS icon looks like a yellow paper file and when I double-click on it, it turns into a blue-bordered box, then I have to double-click it again for it to open(if that means anything). It opens immediately when I open it from the shortcut on the desktop, though. Thanks

I tried start ds and it says "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". ????

OK, I'm confused. Does it run or not???? In post 14 above you said you had it running.

I have it running in windows 98 now but it has errors such as showing I'm going 15 mph when the car isn't moving. I'm trying to run it in MSDOS now to see if the program will run right but can't get it to open. Thanks

Well, the bad data is nothing more than a bad connection, either at the ECM or interface box, or a bad interface box. As far as running it in MSDOS, you wont have much luck unless you're familiar with DOS commands on the command line and DOS file/folder structure.

forzfed, sorry to be picky but there really is a difference in functionality between the command cd\ and the command cd..

Sorry just been doing this too many years, hell I remember the tandy 1000. It was step up from my trash 80

man am I getting old

forzfed, sorry to be picky but there really is a difference in functionality between the command cd\ and the command cd..

Sorry just been doing this too many years, hell I remember the tandy 1000. It was step up from my trash 80

man am I getting old

Your right, CD\ is root directory and CD.. is parent directory, but in his case it would be the same because he isn't in the directory of a directory's directory. You can also run debug and see the hexi-decimal code to make sure the data is going through your conventional memory. I also owned a Tandy 1000.:biggrin: I programmed Z-80's in school using assembly language. And I used to recover files the old fashion way, by looking at the starting cluster in decimal, file size in hex, file size in decimal, and number of clusters. Follow the string of numbers and <EOF>, end of file. I use to enjoy doing this at one time.