Running a distributor instead of D.I.S

buizila

GO TIBE !!!!!
Thinking of running the msd pro billet distributor to get rid of the cam sensor and D.I.S ignition. What all do I need and how to I go about doing this without having a check engine light (with a no cam single code) or even worse a no start condition? :confused:
Much thanx,
Mike

It really can't be done with the stock ECU. I talked to Bob Bailey about it a couple years ago. It is easier to go to a aftermarket ECU IMHO.

Thanx Ted,
that helps alittle. Is IMHO the brand name of the ECU? Will the altenator/ac bracket work with a distributor? I heard that it needs to be removed or massaged alittle for cap clearence.

It really can't be done with the stock ECU. I talked to Bob Bailey about it a couple years ago. It is easier to go to a aftermarket ECU IMHO.

It can be done if your willing to do some extra mods, like an external hei module and you must still keep the factory module in the car. Bob can give you the details.

Norbs,
Did U ever get urs running with the distributor? Also are the gains worth it I plan on making around 700hp or so, I was told that the stock setup is more than enough to handle that!

Right now i have some other issues going on so its hard to tell. RJC claims 40 hp with elminating the waste spark with his setup. It requires alot of mods if you want ti retain the a/c. I have a thread on it, somewhere. The main reason is for a poper functioning 2 step and rev limiter, and no need to worry about the coil pack/module failing as most do in time.

Norbs,
Did U ever get urs running with the distributor? Also are the gains worth it I plan on making around 700hp or so, I was told that the stock setup is more than enough to handle that!

Sorry to step in on a question to Norbs, but I found that GOOD grounds to the module helped out at that HP level with the DIS and tighter plug gap.

well you could use a stock ecm from a syclone . but i will be a batch fire and will require a new chip/tune up