Runnin' too Rich!

turbo blue 3.8

Asphalt Cowboy
Hi everybody I'm new to the site and the TB scene I've got an 84 GN with more than it's fair share of issues. One such issue is that she's running way to rich. I'm not too sure whats causing it to run so rich obviously but I have a few ideas: one idea was the MAF is bad, or maybe the Cam Position Sensor, or maybe the fact that the original owner hacked the cat off and possibly all the O2 sensors with it to run a crappy hillbilly exhaust job. Anyway if yall could pardon any spelling mistake and offer up some help it would be much appricated.

How have you determined it's running too rich, do you have a scantool or is it just blowing black smoke out of the exhaust? Scantool is the first thing you should buy.

Removing the cat is common, I would guess that 90% of GNs are running around catless.

Areas to start with are the 02 sensor, verify what chip you have, and possibly the MAF. Cam sensor won't make it run rich.

Unplug the MAF and see if it gets better. Are you running stock injectors and chip? What's the fuel pressure like? If it's running this rich, an oil change is probably not a bad idea. Without a scan tool, you're kind of blind. You can find the Denso 02 sensors for about $20.

Thanks for the help yall i'll check out the stuff out but as far as the stock injctor/chip i'm not sure i bought it used and abused so i don't know much about it now. But about how much will a scan tool set me back?

At the very least pick up a OTC 2000 scan tool. They are older and not very fast, but cheap and will help you with simple problems. You can find them on Ebay. If you fouled a set of plugs I am leaning towards your 02 Sensor not cycling properly. But, if you don't have a engine light on...probably not that.

How many O2 sensors should My GN have?And would any one brand be better than the rest ex:Bosch, AC Delco, or NTK?
But idk if my engine light is on cuz half of my idoit lights don't work, just another issue to work out... ah the joys of owning a car older than me!

One 02 sensor in the passenger header. I always had good luck with the AC Delco and it was cheap too. Could even be the wiring going to the 02 Sensor causing it to not read right that could cause the 02 counts to not cycle. Get a OTC 2000 off Ebay for cheap, less then $50, it will be a big help for little money. Too bad I just gave my old one away to a buddy.

Ah it's cool dude but thaks for the help I'm goin' to Auto Zone tomorrow to buy an O2 sensor, see if it will solve my problem.

But hey do you or well anybody for that matter know of any TB clubs in Ohio or at least places to meet other TB owners for advice?

Sorry this response came so late but i was campin' for a few days but the new O2 sensor made a world of difference so thanks for the help fellas, and good luck with your own projects!