rubber on exhaust tips?

DragCamaro

Real-Keeper
hey everyone, i just finished off my et streets today and my exhaust tips have a pretty good coat of rubber on them. ive never had much of a problem getting the rubber off 1/4s, but this stuff has been melted then remelted to the tips. its on pretty thick too, is there a trick to getting it off or should i just wait a while for it to dry and try and peel it. like i said its on pretty thick haha.
thanks, Mark

Let it firm up then peel it off. The other alternative is to get throttle body cleaner. It will eat the rubber off, use plenty of rags.

Prevention: Use a dry-lube like PTFE (Wurth). Spray it on liberally, let it settle and go tear a$$. The rubber will fall right off the pipe.

I just left it there for a while and it rubbed right off. The stuff I used on the quarter panel actually took some of the paint off!:frown:

alright thanks guys. btw to anyone that uses a gas and sponge.... you might wanna wear gloves.... just sayin lol

Use a razor blade to get most of it off....then use a wirebrush to make the surface uniform. After that you can polish to bring the metal shine out or paint it black as it was factory.

I use WD40 to remove any rubber that doesn't rinse off. I don't allow it to build up though, always clean'er up the next day.

Kerosene works good too. Won't harm the paint if you hafta do the quarters also.

here's a nice little helper

I don't know where the link is so sorry about that but I ran across these things called "burnout buddies" a while ago. They are magnetic and stick to the lower part of the 1/4's. I don't know anyone who used them but they say they don't scratch the paint. Anyone who has them let me know. Ha Ha. I have a lot of burnout buddies but not the kind for rubber on 1/4's.

John's performance used to sell those burnout buddies.

EDIT:Whoops! I'm too slow on the draw

DRAG RACING in January??????? YOU MAKE ME SICK!!!!! It rains here untill the day after the 4th of July. We even had more snow here than EVER!!!! Dang Global Warming!!!!!:rolleyes: I WISH I could have the rubber on the tail pipes problem this time of year..................Lucky dog!!!;)

Meguiars Body solvent is excellent for removing burnout rubber and it won't hurt the paint.

i wasnt drag racing, i just got another set of tires for the rear and decided to finish off the old ones haha