Rough running, rich...

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
Long post. Sorry, but I tend to be very verbose about things.

I guess when I replaced my driver's front tire Monday with a KDW, some juju in the car didn't like it. Tuesday, I noticed that the car was running a bit rough in the morning. Went home for lunch, and the car was running rougher. Yesterday it felt totally gutless, and I could see the smoke behind me as it putted (literally putted, stumbling and just running crappy) along. Got home, unplugged the MAF, idle got a little better, so I thought I might have a bad MAF. Left it unplugged. Started it this morning, and it wouldn't stay lit off, without a bit of help from my foot. I shrugged that off and tried to let it warm up. Okay, idle is a bit better, but when I dropped it in gear, it died out. Wife yells at me to just take her car and forget about it for now. Stubborn self plugs the MAF back in, idle is crappy again, but it doens't die when I put it in gear. Drive to work. I've avoided boost since Monday, as the speed limits where I live are only 15 MPH, and on base it's 30, and I only live three miles (if that) from work. Final stretch of road this morning, and I can see the fuel-rich cloud behind me again, had to wave a car past me (Audi TT convertible) and then the car suddenly ran lots better for about thirty seconds, enough for me to get going faster then TWENTY, which was what I was stumbling along at - the car just refused, flat out refused to get over twenty or so. Felt like I had a lawnmower engine under my hood - did someone steal my LC2 when I was asleep...? Nope, still there...

All of that to ask this... I don't have my digital camera (we moved recently) and I think I have a vacuum line unplugged. By the valve cover breather on the driver's side, there's this truncated cone looking thing, and it has a vacuum line going to a connector right by the breather. That line is just flapping in the wind as it is now, I don't know how long it's been that way. Is that my fuel pressure regulator? I tried finding a stock engine bay picture so I could point it out here, but I can't find one.

I used some TB cleaning spray Saturday, cleaned up a bunch of crud that was in there, car ran like a CHAMP this Monday when I was going to get my tire, so I'm wondering if a sensor finally decided to die. I do not have a scanmaster - I'm going to beg from my Hawaiian GN friends (quicker6 moved, darn it...!) to see if anyone can help, but I figured I'd ask here first, more for suggestions on possible things to look for, and what the frag this vacuum line is stuck to.

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak some where. One of my plenum bolts came loose and the car ran exactly the way you decribe. The problem with vacuum leaks are they are hard to find. You also might want to check the o2 sensor. However its doubful it would go bad suddenly. Hard to tell without a scantool. :rolleyes:

Jason

Well, I do have a hose sitting loose, but I don't have a clue where it goes or what it's suposed to route vacuum to. I'll take a picture of it with my cell phone and attach it in a few.

Here's my hose... Don't know how long it's been like that... :confused: :rolleyes:

And yeah, I know it's dirty. What can I say - it's a high-mileage daily driver...

Attachments

• Hose mystery.JPG
    Hose mystery.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 148
Hey, cool... but uh... what is it? (wish my engine bay looked that nice!)

Oh, fresh tank of Chevron 92 and my problem seemingly went away - I could even use a bit of boost and it doesn't hesitate/stumble/idle like junk anymore.

However, I doubt I would've been able to drive it off of fumes for the past three days...? I probably masked the original problem, that or I had some junk in my lines that finally got flushed out with a fresh tank of fuel. I'll monitor performance as the tank nears empty.

What do you mean what is it? Its the same pic you took but my car doesnt have any loose hoses? Yes the hose you have goes to the nipple that you have in yellow.

Jason :confused:

Ah. So I'm assuming I have a ghetto EGR-delete mod, then? Or do I have an always-open EGR?

The EGR on my car is not working, but I still have it there. Just plug the hose in and let us know.

Jason

Well, it wasn't a fuel tank crud problem - it came back the very next day I drove it. Getting out of the car while it's idling normally, exhaust smells normal. Then it starts idling like crud, and I start seeing black smoke (fuel, right? White = water/coolant, blue = oil) puffing out. Then it begins to run fine, no more black smoke. So, I suspect a fuel-related problem, that or an ignition problem. Problem is, it's intermittant! GRR!

Looks like I'm going to start my cardiovascular workout sessions (read: running three miles to and from work) sooner then I expected. I'll re-do that vacuum line tomorrow and see what that does - maybe I'm having my EGR dump exhaust into my plenum too often... shrug.