Rough idle, bad knock and??

itistuf

Hi guys I just got my 87 TR back. The motor was rebuild to stock. IE turbo, cam, intercooler etc... The timing was set at 36 is this correct? It will start right up but idle down and it sounds like it has a cam in it then it will die when cold. It starts right back up. When warm it starts right up but idles down and gets rough. At half throttle it seems to run fine. At full throttle right before the 1-2 shift, it "knocks", falls on its face, and a puff of blue/black smoke comes out the pipes??? What could this be?? The car has the digital dash. Thanks guys for the help in advance as I am really bummed about this. Is there anyone in the Richmond, VA area that might be able to assist and or tune this car once I get it sorted out. I have bought alot of hi po parts to put on it, but I want to get it runing correctly first. Thanks again,
Mitchell

Hi guys I just got my 87 TR back. The motor was rebuild to stock. IE turbo, cam, intercooler etc... The timing was set at 36 is this correct? It will start right up but idle down and it sounds like it has a cam in it then it will die when cold. It starts right back up. When warm it starts right up but idles down and gets rough. At half throttle it seems to run fine. At full throttle right before the 1-2 shift, it "knocks", falls on its face, and a puff of blue/black smoke comes out the pipes??? What could this be?? The car has the digital dash. Thanks guys for the help in advance as I am really bummed about this. Is there anyone in the Richmond, VA area that might be able to assist and or tune this car once I get it sorted out. I have bought alot of hi po parts to put on it, but I want to get it runing correctly first. Thanks again,
Mitchell

are you talking about cam sensor timing? cause thats the only timing that you can adjust or set. the chip dictates the idle and wot timing. if its cam sensor timing it should be 25. knock on a shift is somwhat normal depending on motor mounts and exhaust.

It has the stock chip in it. I was told how the timing was set and I think it was set wrong. I was also told the "correct way" to set the timing is to turn the motor over to 25 degrees after TDC on the # 1 cylinder on the compression stroke with the cam sensor out. Hook the timing light up and press the trigger towards a stationary object, ie yourself. Turn the key to the on position and manually turn the motor over till the light on the timing light comes on. When the light comes on put the cam sensor in and tighten it up and it is set. Is this the correct way??? Thanks again guys,
Mitchell

improper cam timing can gas wash the engine and destroy all that hard work and money, smell your oil if it smells like gas change it check sensor timing and pray.