Roller cam thrust bumpers.

9SECVSIX

I can't see any purpose for the thrust bumpers on a roller cam wet sump motor, doesn't the load on the grear from the oil pump keep the cam thrusted into the block at all times.
What's you .02 worth?
Thanks
:confused:

I would be curious of this also, and what type of rear thrust washer/ bearing is suitable with a hyd. roller ?
Thanks

The purpose of the thrust washer is so the cam will not ride on the front face of the block and marr it up. The side load that the oil pump shaft creates shoves the cam into the block. This is not needed when you are using an external oil pump and a stage 2 cover.

The pump gear may tend to push the cam to the rear, but if it's not held in front, it has to bounce some. I have heard a couple of regular flat tappet cam motors where the stock button/spring has broken; they chattered and knocked and the one that wasn't fixed died shortly thereafter from cam failure.

With a roller cam that doesn't have lifters pushing it in as well, it's even more critical. If the cam moves more than a few thousandths back and forth, it's gonna chew those rollers up, IMO.