Roll bar tech question

Nashty

WORLD'S FASTEST ......geo
How much can a roll bar tilt backwards in a full bodied car? I hear 15º but saw nothing at all in the IHRA tech book for 2002.

TIA

Roger

There really isnt a rule about tilting the bar, although tilting makes the bar weaker in a crash or rollover.
Why do you need to tilt it?
Phil

To make it come down on the crossmember of the chassis. It is a tube chassis car.

BTW, it looks as if the unanimous answer is yes, you can tilt it back but no definite answer on how much.

As far as weaker goes, the rear struts are only about 3' long so the entire structure is pretty stout. It's about like a capsule in there. My own cocoon of boost. :)

Originally posted by Nashty
How much can a roll bar tilt backwards in a full bodied car? I hear 15º but saw nothing at all in the IHRA tech book for 2002.
TIA Roger

My suggestion would be to contact you local chassie inspector with NHRA. The director in your division is Jay Hullinger and the tech director is Ritch Bowers. The office address is 5 West State Road #218 Bunker Hill IN 46914. The Tech Director's number is (765) 689-8377. The Directors e-mail address is jhullinger@nhra.com the office hours are Monday ~ Wed 9 to 5

If you contact your local office I'm sure you got a chassie inspector in your area that for a fee will come and inspect what you want to do now and inform you what you can and can't do.

This may be cheaper than doing the work and finding out something is wrong later and you have to change it.

Good Luck

Thanks Neal. I sent him an email. I'll post his answer when I receive it.

Hey I hope everything works out. Something I just noticed :(

You said IHRA. Both groups have the same rules for building the roll cage. They just have different speeds and times where there required.

If you want to get in touch with someone from IHRA there National Tech Director is Mike Baker at the national headquarters.

His e-mail is mbaker@ihra.com with a tel phone number of (419)-660-4206. There rule book don't show division inspectors like NHRA's book does.

Again good luck and I'm sure everything will work out.