Roll Bar Question

t3intercooled

If one did not want to put a 8 point or above cage in their car and decideds to put only a roll bar, how fast can one go legally in the quarter with a roll bar before having to upgrade to a cage. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I read this....what is considered a full bodied car:

In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor and body (from the firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 and 10.99, roll bar permitted in place of roll cage.

Where did you read that at Brandon? NHRA tracks will not let you run those #s without a cage. I just went threw it.

2005 NHRA E.T. Quick Reference Chart

I don't think there are major changes from this quick reference in current rulebook.

Where there is a "Y", its definitely needed. As far as I understand, a roll bar is good to 10.0 or 135 mph. I think General Regulation 4:11 was where the full-bodied, unaltered firewall rule is mentioned.

No problems with friends running at Englishtown between 10.0 and 10.5 with just a roll bar.

Also notice that a transmission shield and aftermarket axles are required for 10.99 and faster.

An electrical cutoff is also required at 10.0 or 135 mph.

Not sure if you can run faster than 135mph but less than 10.0 with a cage and electrical cutoff but without an NHRA license and without NHRA chassis sticker. For example, 10.05 @ 140mph with a crappy 60ft.

Most NHRA tracks will give you a "Nasty Gram" if you exceed either 10.00 OR 135mph with a roll bar only. Some look the other way, most don't. It is so much easier to run 135mph today then it was back even 10 years ago. The 135 mph rule has been in effect for a LONG time. Maybe they will change it in the future, seeing as a ZR-1 with simple mods, may exceed that. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. But if GM (and the others of the "Big3") don't get their stuff together, the ZR1 may not be. We all might be running Prius's.:mad: "Hey!..Look!.....He just ran a 17.99 second 1/4 mile!!!!" "Hah-Hah, now he has to get a roll bar!";)

hardtop full bodied cars for tracks that conform to NHRA rules , most do

no roll bar good to nofaster than 11.50 ..provided you have all other safety equip needed for car like snell 2000 helmet (or better) aftermarket turbo needs a firejacket , driveshaft loop for stickey tires , proper lugnut engagenment , 1pt minimum overflow . if battery is in trunk you need a cutoff switch and rear firewall or have battery in nhra approved box and properly secured , any missing needed items and you may not tech to even race.

roll bar (most call a 6point but actually only need 5 points as pass door bar is not required ) good to no faser than 10.0/135 whichever comes first provided you have all other nescesary safety equip like dated harness,firejacket, transblanket , clip elims , aftermarket axles , steel valvestems , lugs ,proper lugnuts, etc any missing safety equip or a bar not done to regulations (like removable rear bar, boltin etc) and you could be told no faster than 11.50 or possibly no tech approval to race at all

roll cage (what most call an 8 point )good to no faster than 8.50 , cage needs to be certified and driver must hold a current NHRA comp licence, multilayer firejacket , pants, gloves, shoes, neck collar, window net , sfi flexplate , flex plate sheild , chute if over 150mph and possibly other saftey requirement based on the cars equipment configuration , missing any and you may get teched to no faster than 10.0/ 135 , or no faster than 11.50 or possibly not teched at all

what ive listed is not a complete list ...best advice is get a copy of the rule book when it comes out (or find an old 2008 one for reference ) for specific other safety equip , and tracks can impose any additional safety equip they deem nescessary ,
etown wants a loop now even if running drag radials .
run faster than your teched for and they wont give you a timeslip , and may ask you take take a trip to the tower
they will also put you in their book incase you return and try to run faster than you should without having updated your saftey equip

That must be correct then. Others are saying the same. 1/8th mile track I race 6.40 is the bar to cage et. Good luck with your car. You will be vey :):) when the guys start loosing driving twice the Cubic ""s. I cant wait for SPRING:)