RJC powerplate

BOOSTD

Well, I installed my powerplate today and all I can say is "WOW!!"
This might be psychological but this thing has totally changed the way my car runs. As soon as I started the car, I could tell that it was idaling much more smoothly. The exhaust even sounded deeper and less "loapy." When I drove it, the throttle responce was much crisper and get this... 4.2deg. or knock retard @ 18psi ON 93 OCTAIN. Normally I run 100 octain to keep the KR from shooting into the teens. As soon as I get my adj. fp. regulator, I can get the KR to 0. This powerplate had definatly been well worth the $65.

Anyone else had similar experiences with their PP?

BOOSTD:D

Having yet another dumb-attack, but don't know what that means about the "tree hugger" thing. Willing to learn, however.
The reason I askedf is, I installed the plate and it still pinged. Replaced the defective EGR solenoid today and I can get 18 psi on 91 octane with no audible knock.
I drilled out the plate for the EGR before installing.
Going back to my tree now.:)

Not going to mention names but someone told me that the EGR vlave only functions at idle and is only ment for emmisions. By blocking it off, my car is not emissions legal. Kind of like not having a catalitic convertor. Thats why I don't concider myself a "tree hugger" (environmentalist). HOWEVER, I do recycle cans and my used oil though :D

BOOSTD

it works at cruise and reduces nox. not active at wot or idle.

Might cause light detonation at cruise because it expects a leaner cruz and cuts the fuel back.

Sometimes the chip has to be adjusted.

You should drill it out if your state requires you to test for emissions. If not, don't worry about it.

If you notice some light throttle knock at cruising speeds, drill it out. If you have to go thru emission's testing, drill it out.

Drilling it will not harm performance by any means. On the other hand, if the the first two sentences don't apply...probably a waste of time to pull it off and drill it. YOu will emit more nox,tho. :)

Well I live in Illinois so emissions tests arn't required. Lets just keep it between you, me and the walls...AND the rest of the internet;)

BOOSTD

OOpppps had it backwards, sorry Ryan (I had said it only functioned at idle...either way...)

Part of your improvement could be getting rid of the "garbage" that was in the plenum as well.

PP, cheapest good stuff for our cars.

Stupid question

I'm sitting here looking at this thing and the directions for it and darn if I can figure out which way it goes on. I looks like it would be possible to put it on upside down if it matters. Which side should be up on this thing or does it matter. One side has RJC engraved in it.

turbot2496, I thought the same thing when I first looked at mine. But it only goes on one way b/c the bolt holes are a little offset if I remember correctly. HTH. ps. mine was for a stock throttle body/plenum.

Just to share... :)

...I also installed the PP in hopes of stopping a part-throttle knock problem. It majorly smoothed out the idle and got rid of a lot of the knock, but I still get knock higher up in the revs.

Paul Clark: tell me more about your setup as I'm also stuck with 91 octane here in California and I'd sure like to run 18 psi like you!

I'm now getting +/- 10 deg. KR during moderate acceleration with 14 psi, stock chip, FPR and turbo. The PP eliminated the knock up to around 3000 rpm, then it hits again. I also get light KR at cruise like Steve said and my EGR is functional and not blocked.

Okay - I'm an old fisherman and I tend to stretch the truth a bit.
I can't do a "balls to the wall" 1/4 mile pass on the 91, but 15 - 18 lbs of boost for short blasts seems to be okay.
I spent a "lot" of time this year setting the TPS, MAF counts, etc. Don't know if that made a difference or not. Also replaced the fubar EGR solenoid.
For what it's worth -
009s, big neck, cold air, power plate (drilled out for EGR).
That's about it. Thinking very seriously about alcohol injection - if I can ever figure out how to do it. The savings on race gas and 02 sensors would be worth it.
Paul

Thanks Paul. I see you've got 009s. That probably helps some. I've got plans to install an AFPR and Joe Lubrant chip. I'm hoping this makes my 30# injectors work a bit harder.

So are you guys drilling out the hole for the EGR or not? The reason I ask is I still have the EGR on and I am exempt from the emission testing! Lucky me! I want to put it on as I have got lots of know since I installed the new Turbo and injectors. The consensus is not clear here.

Thanx,

Ron