RJC 5" Downpipe

A sound clip would be great, for numerous exhaust and cam issues etc, is there, has there been a sound clip thread ?
The 5" pipe should alter the sound wave a bit.

I have the same DP with TA 4 bolt SS headers. Without the Heater box in the car, it is very easy to come in/out. Lots of room, and hits nothing.

IMG-20120908-00377.jpg

Mike, I know this thread is a couple of years old so I apologize for the late response/question. I would like to know how you made the v-band clamp work with this turbo/downpipe combination. I'm getting ready to put my car back together and I'm not sure how to make this work. I'm using a GTX4202R turbo with a v-band exhaust housing outlet. BTW, your motor looks great. Love the job you did with it. I appreciate your time.

-Chris Kirk-

Mike, I know this thread is a couple of years old so I apologize for the late response/question. I would like to know how you made the v-band clamp work with this turbo/downpipe combination. I'm getting ready to put my car back together and I'm not sure how to make this work. I'm using a GTX4202R turbo with a v-band exhaust housing outlet. BTW, your motor looks great. Love the job you did with it. I appreciate your time.

-Chris Kirk-

Chris, If you have this exact same downpipe, this is what I did to make it work. The downpipe itself was made to be used with a 3 bolt stock style exhaust housing. With a 4 bolt your going to have to make some alterations. What I did was take the part that bolts to the 3 exhaust housing, and had a machine shop cut off the V-band that mates to the downpipe. picture below shows the part that is supposed to be mounted to the 3 bolt housing after I cut off the V-band from it.

I then welded that v-band to my GT42 4bolt exhaust housing. That's how I got it to work using the parts that came with it. Then took it to my buddies at the Chassis shop and they made my external wastegate route back into my downpipe

Chris, If you have this exact same downpipe, this is what I did to make it work. The downpipe itself was made to be used with a 3 bolt stock style exhaust housing. With a 4 bolt your going to have to make some alterations. What I did was take the part that bolts to the 3 exhaust housing, and had a machine shop cut off the V-band that mates to the downpipe. picture below shows the part that is supposed to be mounted to the 3 bolt housing after I cut off the V-band from it.

I then welded that v-band to my GT42 4bolt exhaust housing. That's how I got it to work using the parts that came with it. Then took it to my buddies at the Chassis shop and they made my external wastegate route back into my downpipe

Mike, I do have the same downpipe. Will it matter if the turbo I purchase has a v-band housing? Would I just weld the v-band clamp, like you said to the v-band housing? Or, would I by a turbo without a v-band housing? Also, when you machined the stock style housing adapter, how close did you cut it to the v-band? For example, did you cut it right to the edge? Or, did you leave an 1/8 or a 1/4 inch on it? Or more? Here is the adapter piece. I marked it with a black line. Where do I cut it to in relation to that mark?

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
I left the existing V-band flange on my GT42 turbo, and welded the V-band flange I cut off to it. The way I judged where to cut it was, I bolted up both pieces with the V-band clamp and cut it a 16th of a inch more so I can bolt it up without hitting anything.

im thinking about sending mine back ... it doesn't just slip in oe fit with minor mods

I left the existing V-band flange on my GT42 turbo, and welded the V-band flange I cut off to it. The way I judged where to cut it was, I bolted up both pieces with the V-band clamp and cut it a 16th of a inch more so I can bolt it up without hitting anything.

Great.... I never thought of doing it that way. Would definitely be the most accurate way to do it. Mike, thank you, I really appreciate your time.