RJC 5" Downpipe

I have one...after market stock style header..not fun installing. U will need to dent the floor on the pass side where the cat used to be just to get the pipe in. Also had to unbolt header and leave in the car just to get some wiggle room. Looks cool as hell ! I even made the stock turbo shield bolt up ...

I have one...after market stock style header..not fun installing. U will need to dent the floor on the pass side where the cat used to be just to get the pipe in. Also had to unbolt header and leave in the car just to get some wiggle room. Looks cool as hell ! I even made the stock turbo shield bolt up ...
Did you take any pics installed of the engine bay and/or under the car?

This is the only pic I can find.. It does touch inner fender plastic liner...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 527
Wow really nice looking engine bay!!!! That is some serious piping... I too have the 4" CAI and over powers everything...love it

I'm running Poston headers. Like Seeya6 said, had to beat the passenger floor pan to clear, but didn't loosen the PS header.

I'm running Poston headers. Like Seeya6 said, had to beat the passenger floor pan to clear, but didn't loosen the PS header.
What size DP were you guys running before the 5"?? What type of power and sound differences did you experience? Either seat of your pants or track/dyno....

I have the same DP with TA 4 bolt SS headers. Without the Heater box in the car, it is very easy to come in/out. Lots of room, and hits nothing.

IMG-20120908-00377.jpg

how much of an actual provable and testable benefit is something like that over something like a 3" pipe?
the up pipe is going to be maybe 3", the turbo soaks up a ton of energy and heat from the exhaust and uses it to turn the spinny bits, and the outlet from the turbine is only a couple of inches, so what's the benefit of these huge pipes?
is it an expansion/suction effect as the exhaust exits the turbine housing, and if so, would you lose any of the effect from the pipe if you necked it down to a more manageable 3" or so maybe a foot after the bend?

Notice the downpipe runs "downhill" from the turbo outlet....the large pipe allows the exhaust to fall down this large hole without obstruction, and thinking of simple thermo/hydro-dynamics, the big-ole pipe fills up as the all the exhaust falls/funnels down to the little 3" pipe, and creates headpressure to push the exhusty juice thru the balance of the plumbing resulting is a nicely toned flatulent release to the atmosphere, not to be confused with ricer fartpipe annoyance....tongue ever so firmly placed in cheek.

Turbos to my mind don't like backpressure of anykind once they have done their work, besides, would you rather tell her you only have a 3" ?

IMO, it doesn't hurt performance, but there would be no advantage over a 3" DP til you get into turbos that have larger exh housings exits. Funneling down right at the turbo when the exh wheel is bigger then the pipe dia its going into is not a good idea. Its always about a smooth transition. But it sure does look impressive when you pop the hood and someone comes by and looks at it. Almost adds inches to your pecker................almost. lol

IMO, it doesn't hurt performance, but there would be no advantage over a 3" DP til you get into turbos that have larger exh housings exits. Funneling down right at the turbo when the exh wheel is bigger then the pipe dia its going into is not a good idea. Its always about a smooth transition. But it sure does look impressive when you pop the hood and someone comes by and looks at it. Almost adds inches to your pecker................almost. lol
Thumbs ^

I was running am Internal gate 3.5" DP before this pipe. The fitment of this pipe is WAY better than the 3.5". The difference in sound is a pronounced turbo whistle through the exhaust. The only difference in seat of the pants is there might be a little torque loss with the larger pipe. I am actually going to a 3.5" 304SS ext gate with TA headers once I get my A/C back on. Nothing wrong with the 5" DP, just want the a/c to work great and the boost control of the ext gate.

"Turbos to my mind don't like backpressure of anykind once they have done their work, besides, would you rather tell her you only have a 3" ?"

She knows mine is 3".................................

ACROSS!!:D:p

i would really like to hear a sound clip i know what a 3 inch dp with 3 inch down pipe sounds like cuz i have that i wanna se if it changes the sound att all id asume it dos

"Turbos to my mind don't like backpressure of anykind once they have done their work, besides, would you rather tell her you only have a 3" ?"

She knows mine is 3".................................

ACROSS!!:D:p
Too bad it is 1/3 as long, barely makes it past her rotten walmart tooth....:oops: