Riv upgrades

sailor77

I am hoping to have the Riv motor out and on the engine stand in the next few week (got a few other projects first). What upgrades should I look at while it is out? Here is what I have planned as of now:

Convert to 84/85 regal turbo setup
87 wiring harness, ecm and coil pack
port and polish heads, along with valve job
I will upgrade to a radiator that will fit my jeep and I need to find a elec fan that will fit as well
I will have a custom DP and exhaust as well, single exhaust ( I was thinking 2.5")

Is there anything else I should do? I am hoping to bring around 250-275 HP to the table with out getting a larger turbo?

I'm certainly not an expert, and have no idea how much $$$ you want to spend, but I have a couple of suggestions. What are your future plans? You may want to consider this while you have the motor apart. If you are already pulling the heads to port them, how about putting in a roller cam to help flow that extra air? Maybe bigger valves? Kind of depends on your $$$ situation. High volume oil pump. Double roller timing chain.

I would definitely replace the valve springs though. And also port match the intake manifold to the heads. Those things can be done fairly easily and without a large expense. A good chip would be a good idea as well. If you are switching to the 86/87 ECM and not using an intercooler I think you will always run a little rich if you do not have a chip burned for your application.
Plus the basics - fuel pump, ADJ wastegate, scan tool, K&N. Of course, Up the boost! With a good tune and enough boost I think you can make 250 - 275 with the stock turbo, but other guys on here will be able to give you a better idea on a specific combo to use. I think I am making close to or possibly more HP than this. My car is hauling serious butt and already smoked the clutch. If you want to see what I did, do a search and read my earlier post titled "Guess my HP?"

Also, what are you planning on doing with the vehicle? This is a jeep right? You may want to consider a higher than stock stall converter if you are planning on taking it in the mud or going offroad. If you get into anything really sticky the stall will help make up for the lack of cubic inches.

Lastly, If you are not going to use the Riviera turbo, I am definitely interested in buying it to use for a core for a 33 or a 48. How much would you like to get for it? Or is there anything else you may be willing to trade?
Please let me know,
Erik

I was not planning on putting a lot of money on the project. Just doing it cause I can. I do not really offroad or sling mud with the Jeep, mainly just a daily driver. I have a 700R4 with a HD towing converter that has a slightly higher stall.

I will probably keep the stock cam, but will switch the timing chain to a double roller, unless I can get the whole set up cheap. I don't want to deal with chasing all the little parts like I had to do with my recent SBC.

I really don't want to up the boost too much, as I will not be dragin the Jeep, only occasionally on the street :) I do want to build a strong reliable motor that can with stand some punishment and not break on me. Anything over my 112HP straight six is a plus. So even at the stock 200HP of the 3.8 I have doubled my HP.

I will be getting rid of the stock turbo, manifolds axel ect. I would just as easily trade for parts as I would sell them. Let me know what you have. Thanks

Sounds like a pretty cool project. With that low 1st gear in a 700, and a 3.8, that thing should rock! Sounds like you've got pretty much everything you need to make it run pretty well. 3.8's are pretty tough motors and can take alot of abuse, as long as you keep them well maintained. The stock cam should be fine for your application. I would still suggest changing the valve springs while you have it apart though.

I definitely want the Turbo. I'd like to get it complete if I could, with throttle body and exhaust flange. What kind of $$$ are you looking to get for it? I don't have a whole lot of Buick stuff, most of what I have is on my car, so a cash buy might be best, but I may be able to come up with some parts. Need any ford truck parts? I got lots a those! lol.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, have a great day'
Erik

Sorry, I don't need any Ford parts here. All GM, well except the jeep, and the motorcycle and the lawn mower. LOL

I really have no idea what the unit is worth. I won't be needing the exhaust manifolds or cross over pipe either if that is something you need. I am thinking maybe $350 for everything I will be pulling off? Hows that sound?

Turbo Jeep

I have Just finished swapping an84/85 TR 3.8 into my 67 Cj. Lots of fun! Much cursing, but I enjoyed the challenge. I used the manual trans as my driveline is even shorter than yours and would not tolerate the auto easily. Consider using 225 oddfire water pump if you need to shorten the font end. Turbo makes the old Jeep quite peppy! AM

andrew, Where are you located? Any other advice that might help me?
I think I will have clearance if I move the turbo up top the engine from behind it. I am interested in seeing any pics you may have. Also what tranny did you use and transfer case?