rings

87TIGN

Death by boost
Anybody here have a problem with chrome moly speed pro rings sealing up? I have heard one instance where it took about 1500 miles and than it quit smoking. My 87 gn smokes after the rebuild, it is getting less but still a decent amount. Anyone have some experience with this?

I had a big problem with total seal rings. The comprestion and leak down would read good but the oil ring didn't seat. It looked like a crop duster at a stop light.

I had a big problem with total seal rings. The comprestion and leak down would read good but the oil ring didn't seat. It looked like a crop duster at a stop light.

Thats EXACTLY whats goin on!!! Did it go away? Mine seems to be less than at first and is intermittent on rare occasions. Thanks
-Andrew

Mine smoked for about 100 miles. Used vr50 10w30 oil. No issues now with a few 1000 miles on it.

Good to know yours quit. Mine has about 350 miles on it is so far and it is less than when i had 10 miles on it so i hope they are starting toseal. my mechanic said he saw chrome molys take 1500 miles to seal up once. hope it quits soon

i also ran total seal rings and it smoked like a train. if yours is slowly going away give it time.

I have always heard you had to get on the car real good several times to get the chrome rings to seat. What I had to do in a mopar 383 PI motor.

I have always heard you had to get on the car real good several times to get the chrome rings to seat. What I had to do in a mopar 383 PI motor.

Correct. Cylinder pressure seals rings so if you get on it initially the added cylinder pressure will help the rings seat. After several hundred miles I have a hard time believing they're going to seat much more as the hone should be pretty much worn down. It's worth a shot though. I'd take it out and get up to 60 or so in 3rd and make a couple of pulls at 12-15 psi. If you can figure out how to do it in 4th without it down shifting that would be better. Basically going for sustained high load pulls that don't go over about 4000-4500 rpm.

if you got a hill around do a 3rd gear pull up the hill for added load.

Good to know yours quit. Mine has about 350 miles on it is so far and it is less than when i had 10 miles on it so i hope they are starting toseal. my mechanic said he saw chrome molys take 1500 miles to seal up once. hope it quits soon

sounds like your mechanic doesn't know anything about wall finish or ring selection, if it takes that long for the ring to "seat" somebody messed up somewhere, or some is wrong that got overlooked. just my $.02

oh and btw a properly finished cylinder should look something this-

doing it like this the rings are basically seated on the with the engine on the stand, when we fire an engine fresh like this it doesn't puff a bit of smoke, & if it does its only for an instant

and also to my knowledge there is no such thing as a chrome-moly ring,
there are chrome rings, and moly(or plasma-moly rings)rings, but not a ring that has both.

Attachments

• cylinder2.JPG
    cylinder2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 194
For those running total seal rings you need to restrict the PCV if you still have one or it will crop dust. Id go to a .050in orifice for the PCV. Ive noticed that a lot of machine shops finish the cylinders too smooth and the ring seal is inadequate after break in. Rings should seat in a few minutes of run time. If they take longer then they are the wrong rings for the application imo. If using moly rings DO NOT oil the hell out of the rings and walls when installing. Use light oil only and dont pour it on. A thin coat on the walls is all thats needed. ATF or even WD40 works well. You dont want a bunch of oil trapped between the rings on break in or they wont break in and the walls will glaze.

sounds like your mechanic doesn't know anything about wall finish or ring selection, if it takes that long for the ring to "seat" somebody messed up somewhere, or some is wrong that got overlooked. just my $.02

oh and btw a properly finished cylinder should look something this-

doing it like this the rings are basically seated on the with the engine on the stand, when we fire an engine fresh like this it doesn't puff a bit of smoke, & if it does its only for an instant

and also to my knowledge there is no such thing as a chrome-moly ring,
there are chrome rings, and moly(or plasma-moly rings)rings, but not a ring that has both.

Great info here. I didnt read your post before i posted. You said some of the same things regarding break in. Lol!

I should also add that 99% of us dont need chrome rings. Plasma moly is the most forgiving and best sealing if the prep and machine work is correct. Round bores and the correct finish are in order.

some people love total seal rings others dont. i had a bad experience with total seal rings myself. how about gas ported pistons? anyone run gas ported pistons on TB?

some people love total seal rings others dont. i had a bad experience with total seal rings myself. how about gas ported pistons? anyone run gas ported pistons on TB?
Total seals work when the directions are followed in my experiences. Gas porting is for drag racing only. The ports will clog with carbon and cease to function in a street car. It takes a lot of trial and error on the gas porting also. Too much is no good and to little will compromise the seal. Its rarely done when boost is thrown in an engine also. Come to think of it i cant think of anyone i know that has gas ported pistons in their race car.