Rings & Bearings..

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
I am picking up another ttype next weekend from a friend, but it needs some TLC. I will be going through the motor, and cleaning it up with a ball hone, and throwing some new rings and bearings in. I'd don't want to just put stock replacement stuff back in, as I will more than likely turn up the wick a bit :D ... What do you guys recommend for rings with .030 TRW or OEM pistons? Also, what main and rod bearings have proven to be the most effective?

Thanks in advance-

Cliff

Speed-Pro is a very good ring. King is a good bearing (Rod/Main). More important that any of that is the installation and the clearance.

Hope this helps you.

:D ... What do you guys recommend for rings with .030 TRW or OEM pistons? Also, what main and rod bearings have proven to be the most effective?

Thanks in advance-

Cliff

First thing to determine is whether you have a .030 overbore, OEM, or just what size the bores are. .030 and OEM bore are quite different in size. Also the sizes of rod and main bearings is very pertinant information.

Right, I wouldnt be ordering the rings / bearings until I've got it apart and verified clearances and dimensions.. Just wondering if there were brands that were prefered for this motor if its going to be pushed a bit.

I would prolly prefer fill fit rings, and have coated bearings.. but just haven't done any research yet.

I'll also be doing a new timing chain, but with the stock cam. Might retard the stock cam a deg or two though... :eek:

I've assembled, re-ringed, and fresheded several sbc motors, and a bbc, but on turbo buick motors, ive only reringed once, and that was a long time ago, with stock replacement napa stuff- lol So I might be a little rusty..

Speed-Pro is a very good ring. King is a good bearing (Rod/Main). More important that any of that is the installation and the clearance.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the input, I am not familiar with King, but will certainly look into it-

Cliff

I would forget about the ball hone if you want to get a good surface for new rings. If your going to turn the wick up i would pay for some machine work (decking, and honing in a Sunnen at minimum) and be sure clearances are ok. The above recs are good for bearings and rings. Ive used total seal rings with great success also.

Put Kings in my '86, they are very nice looking pieces. You can go to their website where they explain about their proprietary metallurgy. Plus they're supposed to be bored to size unlike most other brands.

John

We have been using King bearings for years with good results and keep them on the shelf.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the input guys, Im pickin up this car this weekend, and sometime next week will have the motor out so I can see what all it will need. But I think I am going to give the King Bearings, and Total Seal rings. I will wait to see what the cylinder walls look like before I make a decision about machine work or not. This car is going to be on a very strict budget, cause I need my $$$ for the other Regal :cool:

I'm just looking to be able to have a bit of fun with it while I patiently complete the construction on the race car...

Cliff

Thanks for the input guys, Im pickin up this car this weekend, and sometime next week will have the motor out so I can see what all it will need. But I think I am going to give the King Bearings, and Total Seal rings. I will wait to see what the cylinder walls look like before I make a decision about machine work or not. This car is going to be on a very strict budget, cause I need my $$$ for the other Regal :cool:

I'm just looking to be able to have a bit of fun with it while I patiently complete the construction on the race car...

Cliff
Dont cut it too close on the $. If you do it will cost a lot more in the long run. You may only need to replace the front cam bearing and blueprint the timing cover for adequate service and oil pressure. Re-ringing may not be a good option unless you can get the cylinders round. Do not use heavy oil on the walls when breaking in total seals. I use WD-40 or a light coating of ATF for them. When you get the total seals follow the preparation instructions carefully. Fwiw the factory bearings GM used are superior to almost anything available today. Unfortunately they are no longer available. King bearings are an excellent choice and i have had great success with them in my last 4 engines.