Ring gap on 3.8 rebuild

turbota440

What are the typical ring gaps using JE rings and pistons on a 109 engine ? Top and second ring in particular. Instructions call for about .019 top and a .021 on second ring with a finish bore of 3.835.
Thanks

So you want an "internet" answer when you have the specs recommended by the company that took your money, and suspect their info could not be correct, or someone here has a better answer?

If you have any doubt, call JE direct.

No not the internet I'm not on TurboChevy.com.
Ring manufacturer have a category of use specs. Their specs are generic to all brands. So I need to choose. I respect the Experience of the Buick community more than a tech at some company that has had no Buick experience and maybe only knows what he reads.
So the difference might be a couple of thousands and might not mean anything in my use but if I'm going to go to the trouble of file fitting I might as well do the best that I can.

I like .005" per inch on the top ring, and .006" per inch on the bottom ring.

This is one spec where I like a little extra room. A few extra thou isn't going to hurt, but if the ends touch, it's a very bad day.

By all means you don't have to take my suggestions but, for a stock rebuild (stock boost level) I use the factory gaps. On a high boost engine I like .020" top and bottom gap.