Revolver, Now what..?

Rivical

Growing Member
Picked up a Ruger SP 101 today.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...type=Revolver&cal=357&fin=&sit=&zipcode=44811
5764.jpg

Sure is pretty! I just couldn't help myself today. Didn't think I'd have an opportunity to buy one of these but after turning it over in my hand a few times, well it was coming home! Now to decide if I should shoot it or just build a nice display box or both. I know it's not all that, but it sure is fancy.

Great part was getting it for more than $200 under retail!!! Not that I wasn't gonna buy it anyhow!

That's beautiful! Great buy, too! If it were me, and I only live once, I'd shoot it every time I had the chance to....plus build a very nice display case. Guns are made for shooting enjoyment, you can't take it with you when you die, and you'll be the envy at the range......remember....a happy gun is shooting gun.......go out and enjoy that beautiful thing! You've earned it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Can't believe you haven't shot it already.

I have one in 22LR with a 4" barrel. I swapped a Hogue hardwood finger groove grip on it & it now comes to hand wonderfully. Its one of my favorite plinkers.

Enjoy your new shooter. Its nice to see someone buy a nice revolver vs. another (boring) black plastic gun.

~JM~

Guns were meant to be shot, just like cars were meant to be driven. Shoot the piss out of it and have some fun!

Some guns have values placed upon them that make them "Safe Queens" & really shouldn't be shot much or at all. Some guns are old enough that caution should be excersised or they may be damaged.

Then there is the Ruger SP-101. I doubt that it will ever be a collector model even if it is a limited edition. Like most Rugers, the SP-101 is hell for stout & can handle plenty of shooting. Take it out & enjoy it.

One modification or upgrade that I can recommend strongly, would be a set of Hogue grips. I like the wood ones over the rubber. I bought a set of hardwood finger groove grips for my SP & that was the best thing I did for it. http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27_61

What kind of holster/belt are you planning on buying? I could offer recommendations on company's & styles if you are interested. Please feel free to ask.

~JM~

This is kinda the responses I was hoping to get!

I didn't figure it would be exceedingly valuable at some point other than as an heirloom. So yeah, I'm taking it to my dad for a fine display case in matching walnut with a burl Ruger hawk, like Bruce says.

Having seen it online and oogling it for a month knowing I couldn't get one, I still had to think about it while knowing the pricing was in my favor. People just walk past the tables full of revolvers, but as soon as I picked it up, people repeatedly made comments while passing. And a couple were standing there waiting for me to put it down. It was the only thing I was prepared to spend the money on yesterday after picking up the only non-boring plastic gun left on the market IMO. Got a steal of a deal on a super clean, used but can't tell it with the flashlight, PX4 Storm 40 w night sights too! Just something about a revolver that's classier, more respectable if you will, add fancy and I wanted to be sure I wouldn't be looked down on for using it for it's intended purpose.

The grips are very comfortable. Rubber with walnut inserts. I was checking the SP's and other models available with Hogue's and factory wood or rubber finger grooves too and found this acceptably comfortable without the grooves. It's natural point of aim seems high but I won't know till I get it out. I certainly don't think it will be my only revolver now! I particularly liked a S&W 44mag I was handling at one point. An older gentleman noticed me and asked if it was the 44, he replied to my returning smile with "get the 50!" We both smiled like kids! :D

JM, I've always liked the black holster's worn by leo in the day. I tried fitting it in several similarly embossed models yesterday without success. So yes, I am interested in learning of who makes quality leather for it too. Since carrying it will require concealment, I'm not sure of how what I like will be a part of what I need.

Carrying concealed will vary depending upon the way you dress. Some guys can actually carry the SP as a pocket pistol. My pockets aren't near that large.

The simplest concealed rig is probably an inside the pants holster in the appendix position. Most likely you will also need a true gun belt to help support the weight or your pants will fall down. Another good option is behind the hip on your strong side. Either of these methods can be easily concealed with a simple over shirt left untucked.

As far as a commercial/production holster manufacturer, GALCO is hard to beat. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp
I also like El Paso Saddlery for a more custom touch. http://www.epsaddlery.com/
There are many others, so if you have a better idea of what your looking for maybe I can find a custom holster maker for you.

Something to consider is to have the hammer spur slightly radiused to remove its sharp edges & corners. You will appreciate it after a day of appendix carry where that hammer spur is digging into your stomach.

~JM~

The nice thing about the SP101 is that you can feed it a steady diet of full power 357 mags unlike many of the small frame S&W's . Stout little gun that won't let you down and can be slicked up pretty easy, go to rugerforums.net lots of info there. I have one myself .:D Sam

I'll have to check out the Ruger forums!

One thing I hope to learn is what it's most likely favorite diet will be. There's a Huge variety of choices! I've got 125gr Golden Saber's right now. Stout is a good word for it. For it's small size, it has a very good feel!

El Paso always has the nicest stuff! I'll find some time to check out Galco if we get this rain. I wore it in my pocket in a No4 IWB modified to ride high and cut for faster draw all day yesterday and it's very comfortable! I plan on having the hammer worked on anyhow, it seems to have excessive side-play. About 1/32". I'll likely have it radiused while getting that done.

I dehorned the hammer & radiused the trigger face just like a shoe shine boy, but instead of a polishing cloth I used emery paper. If you ever take it apart, check the hammer spring strut for any burrs. I found several that were quite proud of the rest of the surface. I polished all the sides of the strut smooth on an Arkansas Stone & it helped smooth the D/A action a bit. I also installed a Wolffe gun spring kit. This really lightened up the action. I did not mess with the sear engagement surfaces. Do not go to light on the trigger return spring. I did at first & although it felt great in D/A it would sometimes bind up the gun during fast D/A fire due to the trigger not returning forward all the way in time. Rugers are great DIY Gunsmith guns if you have a good idea of what you are doing.

~JM~

Now you're a mind reader? Answering my next question in full color without my needing to stumble through how to ask it? !!!

You're Awesome!!!

This Site is Awesome!!!

Now you're a mind reader? Answering my next question in full color without my needing to stumble through how to ask it? !!!

You're Awesome!!!

This Site is Awesome!!!

hey came and checked out your post. How much you pay for that one. I was thinking of getting the same one but dont know if i want my everyday carry gun all fancy up. If you can find a place to sell them cheap online let me know. If i got that one i already got a name for it.

Well I honestly didn't think I'd ever see that model in person. Let alone have an opportunity to buy it. And I didn't expect to want to swallow the price plus premium, etc, either if I did find it. I ended getting lucky and found it at a gunshow for about $200 under the "gallery of guns" price. There are other fancy ones along with the regular models to look thru there at "gallery of guns", where you can see just about everything that's available before going out looking for particular's. Just put revolver into the search, add mfg'r if you don't want 20+pages to search, put caliber if you're only looking for one size, you know... You'll still enjoy way too much time looking thru them! Then you'll have specific ideas of what you want a closer look and feel of when you go out to local stores or shows, and what price range you're trying to beat. Of course they will give online price quotes 'out-the-door' too, but I've never tried that. I prefer to research online and spend my money as close to home as possible.

Best of Luck to you!!!:D