Nightsounds - Part 6 "The New Beginnings"

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
As requested, here's another chapter of "Nightsounds". Due to the length, it's broken into multiple parts. I'll post more soon.

Enjoy!

Part 6 "The New Beginnings"

The strains of “Take a Load Off Annie” hung lazily in the cool evening air, circling about his brain like so many thoughts of times long ago… So many miles, so many years ago. It seemed like just yesterday… “I’m really sorry, Danny...I’m really, really sorry…” The words still haunted him just like the familiar smell of her perfume that caught his attention the night he beat Dave.

He couldn’t help but feel some regret for turning down her offer to reconcile, but at the same time he couldn’t forget the betrayal. Even during the few get togethers that he and Megan had awkwardly endured, it was obvious to both of them – it was over. That pain was something he wanted to forget but just couldn’t. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day, maybe one day he would wake up and it would be gone… but for now, it was as close as his shadow.

Dan sat silently for a moment, his iced glass of Coke still covered in shimmery drops of condensation, the melting nuggets clinking softly as they shifted from shrinking. The evening DJ had already began another song as “Take a Load Off” ended – a song that made a smile began to creep across his weary face. A song that brought back good and happy memories… "Pink Houses" by Mellencamp.

Maybe someday, those new yet-to-be happy memories would begin. Hopefully, it would be soon...

Suddenly, Dan was startled by the sound of his phone ringing and vibrating the glass tabletop it sat upon. He reached over, pressed “TALK” and answered.

“Is this Dan?” a strangely familiar voice asked.

“Yes, this is Dan. Who’s this?”

“C’mon, Dan… you can’t have forgotten already, can you?” She was playing with him now and he felt not only guilty for not being able to pull the name up in his mental computer, but also felt a niggling of interest in her soft voice. It had been a long time since a phone call caused those kinds of feelings to stir…

“Well, you’ve got me on this one. Your voice rings a bell, but I’m sorry – I don’t remember.” He was being totally honest.

A silent pause…

“Dan. It’s Sally…” She heard him draw in a breath, only so slightly.

“Sally… it’s been a long time. I thought you had moved away?” he half stated, half asked.

“I did. Well, in a way I guess. I’m living near Holbrook now. I took a chance that you still had the same number and I guess tonight’s my lucky night. How ya been?” Hmm… small talk. Small talk is good he thought, his suspicions now even more heightened.

“I’ve been good, Sally. You know I’m divorced now, don’t you?” “Yeah… I ran into Megan at the Ayersville mall a couple of weeks ago. Seems she and Harry are still seeing each other, but I guess Harry’s having some problems…” she just let it drift off, Dan’s mind wondering what was wrong with his former best friend. “Anyhow, that’s not why I called Dan. I called to ask a favor of you. Could you take a look at a car for me?”

“Well, that depends, Sally. Where and when? And what type of car?” Dan was really curious now. The last he knew, Sally was driving an Accord. But he knew she had race fuel in her blood. He couldn’t help but wonder…

“It’s a WE4 I found by accident. You know, I’ve always loved those black Buicks. This one is 100% stock and only has sixteen thousand miles on it. It’s being sold to settle an estate near Ayersville and I can buy it right – I think. I would like for you to look it over to verify if it’s what they say it is. It looks solid to me, but I’m not sure. Would you take a peek at it for me, Danny?” her soft voice sounding so much more inviting than just for a car look-over. Or was it just his imagination?

“Sure. You know me – I can’t turn down a chance to look at a Turbo Buick. Or, for a chance to see someone like you!” Dan hated himself the moment he said – his intentions that even he wasn’t sure of sounded so awkwardly obvious. It’s been too long; he thought… how he dreaded getting back into the Dating Game…

They set up the particulars and after some more cursory conversation, hung up. Dan sat there, the darkness now pretty much set in. All around him, the sounds of the coming evening grew. A train in the distance… a dog barking at his neighbor’s house… a helicopter heading into towards town, probably a Life Flight… and the silence. Even the silence was loud tonight…

The sun was bright and warm… Dan had picked up Sally at her work place so they could go see the car for the afternoon. She had taken the rest of the day off, promising Dan lunch right after they looked at the car. The sun felt good on his arm hanging lazily on the doorsill of the Impala SS. Dan had bought the beast just a few weeks before and still was in awe of it’s power and poise. Being a ’96 it had the floor shifter and even though it had almost 50k on it, it ran strong as new. The original owner sold it to buy an M5 and Dan was the first one to see the ad. He snatched it up, not even trying to barter the guy down because he knew $12k for the car was a good buy.

Sally settled into the gray leather seat, her eyes closed, thinking about “stuff”. Do you ever really get over something, or do you just slowly forget?, she mused. The air was fresh and clean, her short blond hair tossing about in the breeze as they headed north towards Ayersville.

She had thought about this day ever since she and Dan had talked. How would she feel seeing him, knowing that he knew what he knew – about how she begged Harry to come back. How she had gotten into a heated argument with Megan at Sears one day, the argument ending with Sally slapping Megan’s face hard and calling her something she shouldn’t have. Megan just standing there, her left cheek reddening, her eyes sad and empty and surprised, the tears falling… watching Sally look at her with her hand over her own mouth. After all those weeks, all those nights, all those thoughts and feelings – they all came out in that one instant – right there in front of a stunned clerk. And as Sally stood there, she realized that from that day on, it was going to get better. The sun was going to shine once more…

Dan pulled the SS into the drive and saw the WE4 sitting in the sunlight, apparently backed out of its stall in the enormous 5 bay garage. The seller obviously wasn’t hurting for money – only garage space. Sally had told him he needed the space to put his soon to arrive Viper GTS-ACR in.

“I thought you said this was to settle an estate?” asked Dan, stepping from the Impy and hearing Sally’s door shut just before his.

“It is – sort of. It’s his late brother’s car but he inherited it. He wants to sell it to get the room, and he’s going to give the money to his sister-in-law and her children. As you can see, he’s not hurting financially!” Dan nodded in agreement. The two story brick home was gorgeous and the lawn was clearly professionally maintained. Reading Dan’s mind, Sally spoke. “He’s a very successful trial attorney.”

Dan just smiled. Seems like all he’s talked to or about lately was attorneys. Why should today be any different?

Just then, the seller came out of the house and greeted them.

“There she is, folks. You must be Dan?” he asked, extending his well-tanned hand to shake Dan’s.

“Yep. I’m Dan. So this is an original, huh?” Dan was surprised at the flawless condition of the car’s exterior. Peering in through the driver’s side window opening, he saw an interior that looked like it just came from the showroom floor.

“My brother was very, very particular about this car. It’s never seen rain, much less snow. And it’s been professionally maintained since he took delivery in the summer of ’87 by the same Buick dealership here in town. Take a look under the hood.”

Dan reached in, pulled the hood release latch and noted its tightness (like new), and heard the hood spring upward. Walking around the front of the car, he released the safety catch and lifted the heavy black covering. It was incredible to behold. All the stickers were there. No dust. No grime. The factory coil pack was STILL in place. No rust anywhere. And from all appearances – 100%, factory delivered, bone stock. He hadn’t seen a car in this condition for years.

“Here – start ‘er up.” The seller tossed the keys to Dan, the sunlight catching on them as they flew through the afternoon sunlight.

Slipping the square “GM” logo bearing key into the ignition slot – and noting still the new feeling – Dan heard the open door chime begin as he rotated it forward. Hearing the fuel pump kick on and build pressure then kick off, he advanced the key. The motor fired immediately, settling into the staccato burble that sounded so innocent to the unknowing. That sounded so weak to the uneducated.

Crawling beneath the car, Dan again was not disappointed. Clean as the day it was delivered. Doing all the pre-buyer checks he knew, everything checked out. The car was precisely as advertised. He and Sally even took it for a test drive, noting how solid the shifter moved, how tight the steering was, how quickly the car wanted to run. But he babied it out of respect. Out of respect for a feeling that few people have known since this car was built. The feeling of driving a brand new Turbo Buick. It’s a special feeling and one that those who are lucky enough to have experienced will never forget.

As they pulled back into the drive and pulled alongside Dan’s SS, Sally simply asked, “Well?” as Dan snicked the shifter into "P" and let the car idle for a while.

Dan smiled. “Sally, I’ll say this. If YOU don’t buy this car today, I’m going to. It’s THAT good of a car. How much does he want for it?”

Now it was Sally’s turn to smile. “Well… do you think I should try and get him to take less than he’s asking?”

“Depends…” Dan smiled back, his eyes noticing a twinkle in hers. “What’s his asking price?”

“Five grand. Is it worth it?” she again smiled, knowing that this car was a steal for that price.

“Yeah… it’s worth it,” laughed Dan. “It’s definitely worth it.”

"Good! Let's buy it and go get some lunch. I'm starved!" she laughed.

With that, Sally exited the car, leaving Dan to ponder the Concert Sound stereo. Switching through the preset channels, he came upon a song that jolted him with it's irony. "Bad to the Bone" was filling the air - and even on this sunny afternoon, THAT song sounded new... perhaps in a way, it was.

Sally had already withdrawn the funds and had the cashier’s check in her purse. Since the seller was an attorney, he took care of the notarization and within minutes, Dan was following behind a motorized time capsule. A beautiful, shiny black and breathtakingly evil appearing example of GM’s finest iteration of an efficient, ruthless, and brutal automotive predator .

An intercooled Turbo Buick.

Coming next – Part 7 "The Challenge"

Raven

ahh, the withdraw pains are gone. Your stories are like a drug and I can't wait for my next fix.:D
Thanks Raven

DUDE!!!!!!

you are amazing, the part where he is flipping thru the radio stations and hears "bad to the bone"....GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS!

keep it comming man

Dan

wow...i could picture every second of this....i wish i was old enough in the eighties to have driven a turbo regal...but wait...that would mean i would be an old fart like most of you by now....naaaaahhhhhh....lol...

Originally posted by peterkin
wow...i could picture every second of this....i wish i was old enough in the eighties to have driven a turbo regal...but wait...that would mean i would be an old fart like most of you by now....naaaaahhhhhh....lol...

Hey easy there, I remember you posting your picture. Didn't look like a spring chicken to me! Over 21 I would think for sure :D

Damn man, you are awesome, that is one hell of a story, im definetly waiting for the next part keep um coming :)

-Matt-

Raven,

I tell ya man... That was like finally getting a smoke after being on the wagon for 6 months...

Prob is... Need more now... :D

Great story. Keep em up.

lol....you are right striker...i just turned 23, but i like all of you guys just the same....i like people that i can talk turbo with all day when i go to events.....it's great.....