Returning Comp 853 lifters

FASTV6HENRY

I have a set of Comp 853 lifters that were purchased last October. i have a horrible ticking sounds that is coming from the passenger valve cover. When pulling the the cover i noticed about two different lifters have bad bleed down and will not keep the pump. i am about to pull the intake this week and hope to god that the Cam is not chewed up. My question is i know some people have had similar issues with the 853 in the past and was wondering if they had problems returning the liftres to Comp. Both cam and lifters were purchased less than a year ago. I also want to add that the preload is set at about .050 as recomended by comp and they were cleaned in mineral spirits prior to install...

I have a set of Comp 853 lifters that were purchased last October. i have a horrible ticking sounds that is coming from the passenger valve cover. When pulling the the cover i noticed about two different lifters have bad bleed down and will not keep the pump. i am about to pull the intake this week and hope to god that the Cam is not chewed up. My question is i know some people have had similar issues with the 853 in the past and was wondering if they had problems returning the liftres to Comp. Both cam and lifters were purchased less than a year ago. I also want to add that the preload is set at about .050 as recomended by comp and they were cleaned in mineral spirits prior to install...

What do you expect them to do if you return them? Your probably better off getting another set unless someone here has the ability to rebuild them.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Return my money..lol. i would like to try a lifter that does not have the less than desirable reputation that the 853 have. i have been ordering from comp for a long time and never had any issues and didnt know 853 hadthis problem until looked it up here. And if the cam is chewed up because of the lifters i would hope they would replace that also.

Comp may replace them for you, but most likely they will be no better than what you have now...

There lifter products are not what they used to be. They don't make any of the lifters they sell. I recently broke a new solid lifter from them at startup on the engine dyno, it wasn't pretty. The early 853 lifters are made by the same company that makes the well known 885 lifter. I have not heard of any problems with them. The newer late 853 lifters that you have have turned out to be very noisy and problematic in our Buicks.

They will probably say send them back to be checked etc and they will send you another set. If you purchased them through a vendor may be the best way to go around it..

They will probably say send them back to be checked etc and they will send you another set. If you purchased them through a vendor may be the best way to go around it..

Problem is now the 853 now has a unshrouded foot. So replacement from Comp ...well I don't know what they'll do

The 853 number has been superseded within the last year by another part number. I havent seen a problem with the latest lifters. I did get a pair with no spring under the plunger long a few years back. I never used it myself and sent it on its way to the new owner and he alerted me of the problem. Comp likely wont replace them and its not likely the lifters are causing all of the valvetrain noise. As far as them replacing the cam or any other damaged components even if the lifters were proven as the problem id pretty much forget about it because you wont get anywhere with that.

Damn Bison your not giving me much hope buddy..I guess I will give it a shot but if that's the case I will be disappointed with Comp if they don't back there customers giving the obvious problems with the product.

I think the new number is 6853-12 for the set. I'm not sure if they compare to the 885 lifters as far as being short travel, and what their max RPM is.

I think the new number is 6853-12 for the set. I'm not sure if they compare to the 885 lifters as far as being short travel, and what their max RPM is.

Do you know if the 6853 are different and do they sound like a sowing machine? What i am wondering is if Comp dont refund me what they decide to send me work?

The Comp tech line guy I spoke to did not know a lot about the new lifters, but did say they would probably be as noisy as the 885 lifter on an agressive cam. Maybe Bison has used a set? I think any roller lifter with a tie bar will have some noise. The 885's on my cam are downright annoying, but they do rev to 6500 with no problem. TA has a skirted solid roller lifter that you adjust to .005. I know a guy that tried them and they were pretty noisy, but they will rev.

I am just affraid that all that noise is not good for the cam . Mine are also down right anoying, some people have used the Morels with good results i noticed Weber has i set at a good price. but i need to pull the intake so i can see if the cam is hurt. I checked the compression on all six cylinders and they are all at 120.

my friend built a 440 dodge engine and wile braking the cam in the lifters turned into powder and kiled the cam, bearings, and scored a few cylinder walls. he called comp and told them what happened and they read the cam card warranty word for word that they will replace their product but will not replace the engine or other parts that got damaged. he sent the comp parts back and then sold what he got replaced and bought mopar parts.

Damn Bison your not giving me much hope buddy..I guess I will give it a shot but if that's the case I will be disappointed with Comp if they don't back there customers giving the obvious problems with the product.

You would have to have proof that the lifters are defective. Like no spring under the plunger. Youre complaint is valvetrain noise. Theres a lot of things that can cause that. Years ago when i had shit ones that werent clean they didnt do jack for me and i didnt have the time to waste dealing with them.
my friend built a 440 dodge engine and wile braking the cam in the lifters turned into powder and kiled the cam, bearings, and scored a few cylinder walls. he called comp and told them what happened and they read the cam card warranty word for word that they will replace their product but will not replace the engine or other parts that got damaged. he sent the comp parts back and then sold what he got replaced and bought mopar parts.
Im also surprised that they warrantied that too unless they had a run of incorrectly machined lifters. Ive seen a lot of lifter failures on flat cams. I dont ever recall one being because of the lifters themselves though its possible. Mopar doesnt make lifters either. There are only a few manufacturers of lifters and they are re-boxed and sold as whatever. But like you said the only thing covered is the defective part. Its like if i sell a turbo to a customer and it explodes for even reasons of direct workmanship the damage it creates is not covered. The part itself is covered but nothing else. Years ago a lot of cam failures occurred on hyd roller cams. That was a nightmare for a lof of guys. $10000 engines filled with metal from failing cams. I dont think anyone got reimbursed but i could be wrong. Its also common for suppliers to "good will" stuff even though the failure analysis is inconclusive. I know because ive done it myself.

I was one of the many people that tried the "Budget" roller YEARS ago. Fortunatley PTE warrantied the cam, but it still cost me since I upgraded to a billet roller.

I had ZERO luck with Comp Cam doing anything about their piece of S--T lifters and it was a waste of time talking to their help that knew nothing. I fought those damn things for several years, had ones with NO spring, full of crap, even had one freeze up driving down the street at 35 mph and bent a pushrod. I talked with Ed Morrel and even sent him some of them and he didn't have anything good to say about them. Won't go into all that but then Mike B. from CA. got him to produce some for our engines and I jumped on them. ANY hydraulic lifter that the valve train is ALL set up right and the lifter is good does NOT make noise and my engine with a 534 lift roller cam is quite as a mouse. I'd throw them in the garbage and buy new Morrel's.

PS. Yes I was another one that got talked into the econo roller cam set up and it absolutely ate the engine up in 500 miles.!!! About $6,000 GONE!!!!

M233roller..that's exactly what I am going to do. I intend to buy a set of Morrels because i think it would be a waist of time and potential money if I use Comp lifters again. And I also agree with you 100% In terms of a properly functioning valve train should not make noise with the exception of a solid cam/lifter. What kinda irritates me is that for amount of money I spent with comp on this cam kit I could have got a billet roller set up from Weber. I will know more on the extent of any damage when I pull the intake manifold soon.

I beg to differ on the noise as "Quite" is misleading if recommending Morels, tie bars are going to make some noise as well as rockers , etc.
To many different variables in lobe profiles, etc to say they are going to be quite.
I have Morels, DLS small grind roller and 1:55 T&D's and it sounds like a sewing machine.
Albeit the are quieter than Comp Cams lifter sure but not Cadillac quite.

TurboNasty.. How are the lifters making the sewing machine noise? Is it tie-bar interference or week lifter inner spring. Also does the sewing machine noise give you any false knock?

I have a friend that works there I will see if I can get up with him later. There pretty good people there I will see what I can find out.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app