Requesting Advice On A Fuel Pump Purchase

Red Regal T

Finally got around to installing a new fuel gauge on my Grand National I purchased about eight months ago. The car had one but it was under the hood so I couldn't see it while driving. Recently, I installed 50lb injectors and just put on a TE61. I'm in the process of tuning it in. Anyway, when I went to about 25lbs of boost, I only had about 55lbs of fuel pressure. My Red car bops right up to mid 60s, so I now realize the "unknown" fuel pump needs to be replaced. I want to buy a pump that is a direct bolt in, with no issues. I have an XP pump in my Red car that works well, but didn't buy it new. In your opinion, what is the best pump and who should I buy it from?

I've run the XP from Red for years without any troubles.

Not to change the subject, but if you get any times with your new combo post them. I just put TE61, 50's, 3" THDP on my stock long block. Made some easy 1/8 mile passes at 20# of boost and went 7.60's, but when I turned it up to 25 psi the tranny let go at half track. Be awhile before I'm going again.

Good luck with the pump.

Can't go wrong with a Walbro 340, direct drop in replacement.
I just put a GT6131E turbo on my car and went from 7.8x in the 1/8 (12.40 in the 1/4) with a stock turbo to 7.2x in the 1/8 and 11.63 in the 1/4, but there was still plenty of tuning room left, just hadn't had the time. Should get solidly into the low 11's pretty easy.

I know the XP is a good pump. Mike Licht has a Walbro pump on sale now for $89. Advertised as a 340 replacement. Sounds like a great price. Any comments?

I think the 340 is gone out of production? :confused:

If it's a "kit" at that price I'd use it for sure.

You could always check Racetronix as well.

Never had an issue with buying parts from Mike L.

Don't forget the hot wire kit. :cool:

Racetronix has the GS340 Walbro pump with some detailed pictures on the site showing everthing that comes with it including the "proper" wiring kit AND the hot wire kit. All for just $149. Looks to me like you get quite a bit for the $$$. The wire shown next to pump on Full throttle's site Is not a direct plug in wire kit (at least not on my 86 TTYPE). That pump and wire is the same as what I purchased from Kirban's and I ended up having to cut one of the connectors off that wire kit and then had to crimp on two connectors to allow it to plug into my stock pump hanger set up.
Just checked out the racetronix site, It appears that they have two different kits, one for an 86 and one for a 87 GN/TR. The one for the 87 has the single plug in connector for pump hanger connection. The kit for 86 has the two crimped on terminals.

Looks like a good kit to me. :)

As mentioned it's probably for the '87 cars.

Just make sure he's a Conservative, I forgot to check last time I ordered. :p

i second the walbro 340. mine dropped right in, no problems. plenty of pressure.

I just purchased the one mike from full throttle n speed, it replaced the 340, it sold for $89 & had the install kit included, plug n play & works great
FRED

Originally posted by turbojoe
Racetronix has the GS340 Walbro pump with some detailed pictures on the site showing everthing that comes with it including the "proper" wiring kit AND the hot wire kit. All for just $149.

I'm seeing it listed at $159. You know of a super secret link you want to share? :D I need to order one, and if I can get it for $10 less, even better :D

I got the Racetronix 340 pnp kit. Plugs right in, seems quiet enough. I got it off of Ebay from them. I THINK but am not sure it was less than 159.99. I had Red's 308 before not hot wired and decided to give it a little more and hot wire it at the same time. Very nice setup.

As usual just my .01

Instead of paying an extra $60+ (for additional parts like paper clip & test wire)
I chose to buy the complete plug n play kit from Full Throttle & Speed for $99 shipped to my door

Originally posted by vitaman2
Instead of paying an extra $60+ (for additional parts like paper clip & test wire)
I chose to buy the complete plug n play kit from Full Throttle & Speed for $99 shipped to my door

The system for $159.99 includes the hot wire harness and body ground upgrade so it is an excellent deal!

If you have a G75 sending unit it won't be plug and play at all. The 400-1016 is a generic G.M. install kit not specific to any vehicle let alone a Buick. If the wires in your tank are corroded you will have other issues as well.
If you know anything about Buicks you would know that a HW harness is required. To some price is everything but you get what you pay for. Please read our ad thoroughly to get a better understanding of what and why certain parts are included with our system.

Racetronix, Your system is BadA$$ Period! :cool: Everthing is all there and more. I have the 86 T-type and you are right about some of these other vendors pumps not being plug & play. You need the correct fuel pump wiring kit (which you provide!) for some of the 86 T-types (the ones w/ orange plug by fuel tank). I will be ordering soon!!!:D