Replie to repainting your car

Drop Top

Thats a very broud question.
How ruff is your car (dents)?
Is there a rust problem?
How do you plan on stripping the car?
Do you need to replace any panels?
What color are you painting it?
Are you painting the jams, engine bay and trunk area?
How do you plan on sanding the car? Wet paper or dry?
Do you plan on color sanding and buffing the car?

When it comes to taking off the paint. I use Plastic Media. This is something that you will have to hire out.

After you have it striped. You'll need to metal etch the body and spray on an epoxy sealer. The etch comes in 1 qt bottles and reduces 3 to 1. That is more then you will need. The sealer, 2 qts of a good quality will be enough to do the car.

For an average car 1 gal of a good plastic filler should be fine. I use Rage.

Then you'll need a blocking primer. Depending on the type you use and how much work needs to be done. You could use anywhere from 1 gal to 4 gals. On average I use around 2 to 3 gals on a typical retoration.

After you have it all blocked then you will need to seal the car. There are a couple ways this can happen. If you buy the correct sealer when you bought it for you bear metal it can be used as a sealer before you paint also. In this case you should have bought a full gallon. Or in many cases the blocking primer can be used as a sealer. The blocking primer that I use can be use as a sealer also. So depending on the color your painting that will also determan the color and type of sealer you will need.

Painting the car on average. This depends on the color you chouse and the manufactorer of the paint. On average. A gal of color if your just doing the outside. add another 1/2 gal if you planing on painting the rest of the car. The same goes for the clear.

Other materails you will need is. Differant grades of sand paper. 36 and 80 for sanding plastic filler. Then you will need to determan how your going to sand the filler primmer. With a D/A or blocking by hand. This will tell you the type of paper and grades. Your going to need around 6 to 10 rolls of 3/4 tape and a roll of masking paper. Cleaning thinner to keep your paint gun clean. Disposable gloves. Paint mask. Tack cloth. Blocks to block the car with.

If you plane on buffing the car your going to need compounds and more sand paper. Wool pad and foam pad. Not to mention a buffer.

Last but not least plent of blood, sweat, tears and Elbow Grease. I'm shure I left something out. The bad part is to do a car correctly its going to cost around $1500 just in paint suplies. The good news is the Blood, sweat, tears and elboe grease are FREE!!!

Sorry about posting a new thread. After I typed all this in is when I noticted that I had started a new thread. I didn't whant to retype everything. So here is my replie.

How ruff is your car (dents)? fery few
Is there a rust problem? need new doors
How do you plan on stripping the car? dont know yet
Do you need to replace any panels? both doors
What color are you painting it? black
Are you painting the jams, engine bay and trunk area? yes
How do you plan on sanding the car? Wet paper or dry? wet
Do you plan on color sanding and buffing the car? yes

let me know what i will need to get

thanks

If you've never done this before. You should take it one step at a time. Otherwise you stand a chance of loosing some of the materials. If you reread my last post I covered most of what you will need.. Get the car striped down to bare metal first. After you have done that you will need metal etch and a good sealer primer. If your new at this. I would recomend useing PPG materials. Go with PPG's DPLF line of epoxy primers for the bare metal. Use plastic filler over that. Your going to need 36 and 80 grit dry paper to block down the filler. Then after you have all the filling done, You will need a filling primer. PPG has you covered for that also. 2 gallons shopuld be enough. You said you where going to wet sand when it came to blocking the car. I use 180 then reprime. 220 then reprime, finish with 400. Seal with DPLF 50 and paint with PPGs 9000 black 1 1/2 gals will be enough with a bit left over for touch ups. At least 1 gal. of clear. Talk to your PPG dealer for the type of clear to use in your area.
Metal Etch
Sealer primer
Plastic filler
36 & 80 grit paper
Blocking primer
180,220and 400 wet sand paper
Black sealer primer
1 1/2 gal black base
1gal clear maybe a 1/2 gal more depends on how much clear you put on
Reducers and hardners for everthing
cleaning thinner
1000, 1500 wet sanding paper for color sanding you I go a few steps finner up to 2500.
Compounds and pads for buffing.
3/4 tape and masking paper
Paint gun, mask, gloves, tack cloths, clean area to paint, lights, water buckets, sponge, dish soap, buffer, compressure, air filter/regulator, water hose,filler spreaders and plenty of time. Not to mention the know how.

now i know what to do. i know it will take alog time to do, i have done the prep work before on my camaro i owned before, then i had the paint sprayed because i had no time left before school started but now i have alot of time. thanks for your patience.