Replacing control arm bushings

BeastV6

It'd be cool if it ran!!
Finally working on the Buick some more. The rear end is out. What's the easiest way to replace the bushings in the control arms? Do they need to be pressed in/out?

Yup,however you may find that the rubber comes out leaving you to slit the outershell and collapse it in to get it out.
Now is a good time to box and paint them as well.

cut a piece of angle iron to fit in the control arm. that way when you press out the bushing it will not collapse the control arm. They are easy to do if you have a hydrolic press. Just take your time and be carful not to damage the control arms.

Or take a piece of pipe with an ID close to but bigger than the OD of the bushing, cut the length to fit snugly inside the control arm, and the cut it lengthwise and place the two pieces around the bushing.

HRPartsNStuff makes a very trick bushing remover/installer. Works great on the uppers and lowers, including the ones in the ears on the differential housing.

Good luck,
Sumner (Buzz) White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

So with that tool I will be able to replace all the control arm bushings?? I thought it was just for the bushings on the top of the pumpkin.

I torch the rubber with a burnsomatic then use a hacksaw to slit the shells from the inside, but then I learned from hillbillies.

Torch the rubber out, what a good idea. I wish I had done that. I drilled the rubber bushing full of holes and then drove the center out with a BFH and a piece of pipe. I'd be scared to torch around the rear though. Off the car in a vise sounds great.