Replacing bearing(s) in the alternator.

Bob Avellar

Is this difficult to do? My alternator is charging just fine but it sounds like the bearings are ready to let go. I put a screwdriver on the alternator and used it like a stethescope to make sure it wasn't the tensioner pully. If it isn't hard to do and it doesn't require any special tools I'll do it myself? Any hints??

tech

Go to www.gnttype.org under "resources" click "tech info" under "tech articles" click "electrical..." you will the see info on rebuilding an alternator. You be the judge on difficulty. Chris Hamann wrote the article so anyone can do it. Or contact Chris and he will help you on the phone or he will do it. (cam sensor can make the same noise, mine did):D:eek:

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't look there. Haven't used that site for quite a while. After reading the articles i think i will give it a try. BTW, it is not a ticking sound. More like a grinding,buzzing noise.

take the belt off and give it a spin. Also you may want to start the car and see if the noise is gone with the belt off.

Very easy to replace the bearing...zip the pulley nut off with an impact gun...remove pulley then tap out old bearing....use a big socket to install the new one...or you can take the pulley to an alternator shop and they will replace it...I've done it both ways...alt shop didn't charge much and only took a few minutes...

Oops...read the topic wrong...though you were talking about the pulley bearing...I have replaced the bearings inside the alt though when I rebuilt mine...little more involved...

had same problem..due to time constraints, took it to local alt/starter shop[...$25.00 and was done in a few minutes..nice and quiet..charges well !

the rear bearing is cake......

if youve ever put a new diode or regulator.. or even brushes in your alternator, you were 75% of the way there