Replacement Turbo Question

carlsbadGN

Hey Guys:
I'm considering the purchase of a little larger turbo, namely, the Turbonetics CPTE60BB. Since we still have to go through the smog check routine every 2 years, does anyone know if this turbo is plumbed, or can be plumbed, for the passenger side oil breather hose? Seems like that connection is the first thing that the smog inspectors look for. I know the TA-49 can be easily adapted but what about other larger units that can pass smog?

Charlie:
I believe that the -60, -61, & maybe the -62's can be ordered / built in the TA configuration, which has the inlet bell separate from the turbo body. I am sure that more experienced, knowledgeable peeps will jump in on this. Make sure that you look into whether you need the small Garrett exhaust housing or not, otherwise you might be trading off low end HP & TQ for upper end HP & TQ that your motor may not be built up enough for anyway. Might want to PM Mike Barnard (SPOOLFOOL2), Mike Zwick (nordy racer), Brent (Underboost) about this. I stayed with the stock small Garrett .63 exhaust housing when I went with the TA-49, as I hate lag and / or loss of bottom end HP / TQ. About anybody on the board is more experienced & / or knowledgeable than I am. HTH

Hey Guys:
I'm considering the purchase of a little larger turbo, namely, the Turbonetics CPTE60BB. Since we still have to go through the smog check routine every 2 years, does anyone know if this turbo is plumbed, or can be plumbed, for the passenger side oil breather hose? Seems like that connection is the first thing that the smog inspectors look for. I know the TA-49 can be easily adapted but what about other larger units that can pass smog?

Yes it can. Just drill a hole into an intake pipe. When the car is done with the smog test, just plug the hole with a rubber plug, or even better yet, have two intake pipes. Just a thought....:cool:

Charlie:
I believe that the -60, -61, & maybe the -62's can be ordered / built in the TA configuration, which has the inlet bell separate from the turbo body. I am sure that more experienced, knowledgeable peeps will jump in on this. Make sure that you look into whether you need the small Garrett exhaust housing or not, otherwise you might be trading off low end HP & TQ for upper end HP & TQ that your motor may not be built up enough for anyway. Might want to PM Mike Barnard (SPOOLFOOL2), Mike Zwick (nordy racer), Brent (Underboost) about this. I stayed with the stock small Garrett .63 exhaust housing when I went with the TA-49, as I hate lag and / or loss of bottom end HP / TQ. About anybody on the board is more experienced & / or knowledgeable than I am. HTH
Yeah be sure and not ask Lou about any of this cause he doesnt know sh#t & has only been working on these cars for 21 years. Aint that right Gary!

Yeah be sure and not ask Lou about any of this cause he doesnt know sh#t & has only been working on these cars for 21 years. Aint that right Gary!

Sorry, Lou, but we didn't want to wake you out of your Sunday nap :biggrin:.But now that you're up, I would certainly like your input.

I don't know about that, but I do know about this: How much does the one & only time that I omitted your name from the recommended list of recipients subtract from the dozens of times that I did recommend your name or your business name to others for work to be performed? Do a search and you will find very few or no instances and / or situations where I have not recommended your name to others.
Please feel free to inform me of the quantitive results versus the time duration and if I feel that conditions warrant, I will recommend myself for judicial disciplinary action to the forum administrative staff.

I don't know about that, but I do know about this: How much does the one & only time that I omitted your name from the recommended list of recipients subtract from the dozens of times that I did recommend your name or your business name to others for work to be performed? Do a search and you will find very few or no instances and / or situations where I have not recommended your name to others.
Please feel free to inform me of the quantitive results versus the time duration and if I feel that conditions warrant, I will recommend myself for judicial disciplinary action to the forum administrative staff.
Yeah Gary! What ever