Replacement for factory stereo

slow305

One Cool Guy
What is a good replacement for the factory stereo? I was thinking about going with like a DVD player to fill up the whole space, plus some of them come with HD radio. What are you guys doing?

Replacing the factory radio

I have put in two replacement radios.
First, I replaced all the speakers. Big improvement.
Second, I tried an Alpine unit. The sound was good, but I did not care for the reception.
Third, I tried a Kenwood unit. Reception was better, but all the bells and whistles were just too much for a weekend driver where I would rather listen to the turbo anyway.

A friend of mine had a GN stock radio with the EQ. Sent it for refurbishing. Goes back in car before spring.

I retrofitted CS II speakers in the doors an added a small amplifier and bazooka tube in the trunk.

As you know, without major modifications, there are just limited things you can do with a 22 year old car.

Good to see the VA boys are active on the forums!

Hey, I drove it today, the front tires were completely flat from sitting for almost 3 months and the battery was dead, but I still drove it.

I really enjoy the factory look, and I have a CleanSweep with a six channel amp, but the front, right channel went out on the head unit, and now it makes a popping sound when changing channels. Where can you send it for refurbishing?

Trust me, speakers are next on the list, followed by getting the AC to blow cold.

Repairing the stock head unit

I sent mine to Southern Electronics in Richmond, VA
Looks like they did a good job, except that they didn't verify smooth operation of the fader. It was scratchy, so I am going up there personally next week to make sure they complete the refurb job I have already paid for. ($200)
Nationwide Car Radio Repair and Speedometer Repair

Steve V, thanks for the radio. The bill for that gets paid on Saturday morning :)

Ouch, that's a long drive just to correct their mistake. I'll look into sending my radio up there.

Driving up there

I have the time, and it will be good to get out on the road for a while. Been stuck on the boat at work for the past week...
Plus, I think it will be more embarassing for them if I show up in person! It was stupid for them not to check it thoroughly.

Where can you send it for refurbishing?

I picked up one today from Pick & Pull...$10.00....There are probably 5 - 10 more there...I got one that matched mine exactly...Turned down a couple with an equalizer....All radios are $10.00 right now..Not sure when it will end..It works too !! ;)

Wow, what kind of car did you pull them out of? I'm not much of a radio conversion connoisseur. I'll definitely try and get down there on Monday.

Pioneer DEH-P47DH. Fills up the whole space, has built in EQ, built in high pass filters, built in front enhancer. A good all around radio. I have one and like it. Oh and I found they make an IPOD box that you can hook up to the back of it too.