Replaced the converter....

Crazi

Why Try...
Hey guys,

I replaced the converter and took it for a test drive. I Don't have my Translator for the Maf yet so I just hooked up the pipe to the airfilter. On the test drive, it would not shift out of first. :( I got it up to about 25-30 mph and about 5000+ rpms and it would not shift. I stopped and adjusted the tv cable 4 times moving out two clicks each time. It still didn't shift. :confused: I have not driven the car since the convertor broke and before it did, it was shifting fine. I checked the fluid level twice and both times it was at the first bend. Anyone have any advice or should I wait until my translator gets here to do another test?

By the way, Thanks for all your help!!! I thought it was going to be alot harder but with the advice I got, it was almost too easy!!
:cool:

Originally posted by Crazi
I have not driven the car since the convertor broke and before it did, it was shifting fine.

What exactly broke on your other converter? Are you sure it didn't contaminate the transmission?

Check the govoner. Make sure the spring is still under the secodary (small) weight. I'm assuming the converter failure did not contaminate your transmission. Oherwise you could have particles in the valve body , hanging up the valves! You'll know this when you drop the pan to access the govoner. Hopefully there won't be any "trash" in the bottom of the pan from the old converter!

Crazy, look real good for that governor spring. It is very small.It still may be in your drain pan,when you drained the trans.
Good Luck. Dave

LOL LOL
Hey Guys........maybe that is the problem........ I NEVER DRAINED THE TRANS!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

But after checking the fluid and looking at the 3-4 quarts of fluid that came out, I was convinced that my external Pureone filter was doing its job. I got it to shift by moving th TV cable out about 1/2"-3/4". I don't have the Trans/MAF in yet so it was the preliminary, break in the converter cruise. I'll drain the trans and see what is going on in there tonight if I get a chance.

I have no idea what broke on the old converter all i know is it sounded like wet ball bearings in there!!! I did see one piece of metal but everything else was stuck in there. Couldn't get any more out. Thanks to the board for all your help and thanks to Bruce for the wonderful 2800 9x11!!!:cool:

Now anyone have any ideas about why my O2's drop to zero and the IAC's shoot to 150+???

PS

The trans was getting hot when it wouldn't shift which might have made the problem worse. I added some ducting to channel air up to the second trans cooler behind the passenger side turn signals and it seemed to work fine along with the tv cable adjustment. Now if i can just find a reasonable electric temp gauge.

Re: PS

Originally posted by Crazi
Now if i can just find a reasonable electric temp gauge.

Transmission Temperature Gauge
The TCI electric transmission temperature gauge has an attractive easy-to-read face with a scale range of 150° to 300° F. Gauge comes with all necessary installation hardware. Electric design makes for easy installation. Fits standard 2 ½" gauge panels and is back-lit for night-time. :D

That is exactly what I mean!! $46 for a gauge and it probably didn't come with a sender!!:eek:

I think I will end up getting the digitals gauges with the red numbers to match the scanmaster. Then at least it will look coordinated for my 40 bucks a pop.