Repainting Interior Pieces

Orion231

Ok guys, heard it done, seen people do it... What do we use paint or dye? And what type of procedure do I use when cleaning them? I assume I should use an alcohol to clean all the oil and grease off the piece, then paint or dye it and seal it with a spray on clear coat of some kind. Any tips?

depending if they have been painted before or not, have the parts bead blasted it cleans off all the old paint and gives the new paint a good surface to bond to. If the parts have never been painted you should wash them with a plastic cleaner ( a body shop will have the right stuff they use it to clean new bumper covers before they paint them.) Then you should prime the parts with a good PLASTIC primer, this primer is usually clear and is the most important part if you want the paint to stick for a long time. then go ahead and paint the parts with you choice of paint. good luck it is a long process but the results are well worth it

First, there's no such thing as platic "dye". It is all paint, just sometimes referred to as dye.
Go to a paint supply shop, take a piece of interior trim with you (there are different primers for different plastics and they have to test it, some companys only offer one...that's OK too)
Tell them what you are doing and buy the stuff they suggest.
What you'll need is:
-PreVals (one with jar and the rest just the air cylinders...it's basically like a refillable paint can but mad out of glass)
-Grey or red scotch brite pads (I prefer the red)
-Plastic prep/cleaner
-Plastic primer
-ready to spray mixed paint (to your color choice)
-ALOT of room and time
Follow the insructions to the letter, it should turn out great. I redid mine in a graphite black, checks pics at address in my sig.

Warning- It will scratch. No way to avoid it. i just use a q-tip and some of the left over paint to touch mine up every now and then.
ALWAYS keep the information on the color code and brand of paint you used so you can get more if needed.

Plastic refurb??

Professional paint stores sell a product line called SEM. SEM makes all types of plastic painting products, including prep materials.
The prep is easy, IF it's never been painted before..
Follow the instructions on the bottle.
As for the paint, I use SEM spray bombs and have had VERY good results..:cool:
The key to use is that like every paint project, the prep is the FIRST and foremost concern..
Also, SEM products become more durable the longer you allow it to dry B4 handling /installing. DON'T get in a hurry!

Most stores that have paint mix, can mix the color you want in plastic compatible paints, in most any volume you need.

HTH,:D :D

Thanks!

I won't have time to do all the repainting now because it sounds like a bigger job than I thought, So it'll have to wait till Xmas when I go home on leave and can use dad's shop. Thanks for the tips guys!:D