Removing the 85 Turbo

kosonen04

JustA6
Hey guys Im taking off my turbo from my 85 all stock, and im having a hard time whats the trick and whats the easyest way to do this? Would a bad turbo oil seal or somthing on that lines be more likely on this car to make it smoke all to hell when driving and ideling than i broken piston ring or somthing on that line? Thanks guys for your help.
Brian

kosonen04 said:
Hey guys Im taking off my turbo from my 85 all stock, and im having a hard time whats the trick and whats the easyest way to do this? Would a bad turbo oil seal or somthing on that lines be more likely on this car to make it smoke all to hell when driving and ideling than i broken piston ring or somthing on that line? Thanks guys for your help.
Brian

A bad turbo seal will make it smoke like a B***.
As far as taking it off is it stuck on the adapter and did you take all the bolts out?
3 Up pipe
2 DP
2 bracket
1 intake adapter
2 intake adapter on manifold

(pretty good from memory uh? :tongue: )

84 turbo

If you have to rebuild the turbo, now would be a good time to upgrade to a TA33 turbo, it is your housing with TA49 impellers. Most turbo manufactures can do the upgrade, Precision did mine.

ok sounds good, i still cant get the damn thing off. Whats the best way to remove the oil down pipe? is it on the block or oil pan? Any more info would be great.
Thanks
Brian

ok sounds good, i still cant get the damn thing off. Whats the best way to remove the oil down pipe? is it on the block or oil pan? Any more info would be great. ........

The turbo get stuck on the adapter/seals pretty bad.
Have someone help wiggle the turbo while lifting it from both sides (evenly) straght up.

The drainpipe is connected to the turbo (2 x 13 mm) and is a metal flexible tube. It slides into the rubber grommet in the intake BELOW the exhaust side of the turbo. You can barely see it frm the front. Take is off WITH the turbo.

ok were the turbo gos into the intake is there any bolts holding it in? So far i have the two bolts that hold the turbo onto the intake off the up and down pipe off the TB off thats about were im at now.

Ok i got the turbo off its on my work bench now, what i need to know is whats the easyest way to take apart the turbo?

Ok i need some help Im have a very very hard time taking apart my turbo, im trying to take apart the hole thing so I can send it off. how in the world do you get the exhaust side off? I can get pretty much every thing else off but that, pictures would help me the best and I also printed off the gntpe help page but i cant figger this out. Thanks guy for all the help, also who would be the best to send it to for the upgrade? and someone that dosent cost so much $$$$$ thanks

............ im trying to take apart the hole thing so I can send it off. how in the world do you get the exhaust side off? ...

There is really no need to take the exhaust side off. Send it complete so all the surfaces can be verified and shaved. It will come back like new.

I need to take it apart one because i want to learn how and I want to see the oil seals and all. So anything left geting that exhaust side off would be great. Thanks guys.

I need to take it apart one because i want to learn how and I want to see the oil seals and all. So anything left geting that exhaust side off would be great. Thanks guys.

It is rusted onto the center. Soak with penetrating oil for a day or two. If that does not work, some heat (torch) and a press. Good luck.