Removing O rings from head question

PEACHS

I have a set of heads with O-Rings, my question is how do i remove the O-rings from the head? Is there a special way of doing this? thanks
Peachs

Buy another set of heads... Once they're machined for O-rings, you cannot remove it, due to the amount of metal you'd have to take off in order to achieve a flat surface again. (I'm assuming yours are grooved for the Fel-Pro Lock Wire gaskets?)

You can find a used set of stock heads generally for $100 - $150 from any of the Buick salvage guys.

if your just wanting to pull the wire out to replace them,
you can pull the wire right up with a small pick to start it, and it pulls up and out like peeling a beer can top-

if you dont want them in the future, then you can get the heads decked .010 to get rid of the lockwire groove, maybe a little more to get rid of the groove...

set of heads for a buick turbo regal are 50.00 for the pair plus shipping, look in the parts for sale section, guy out of texas sells em all the time for that price-

felpro lock wires gaskers have reciever grooves in the heads, not a replacable wire in the head

HTH

BW

My mentioning of taking too much metal off the head, is per the belief that you will
1.) somewhat weaken the head (I've learned the hard way on that one), and
2.) You won't want to raise your compression too much, per milling the head much. I prefer lower compression, and more boost, as opposed to higher compression and less boost.
You also need to consider if (and how much) your block may need to be decked, and if so, what it will do to the compression ratio with milled heads too. Just something to think about ahead of time.

The last used set of stock heads I purchased, I got for $100, here in Houston. I've never seen 'em for less, but if they are available for $50/set, I think I'd buy a set to keep in stock...

However, I guess the real question should be --- why do you want to stop running the Wire Locks? Have you had problems? I've used 'em on my last two motors, with satisfaction and success! Just curious...?

O-Rings

Thanks for the replies, the heads have the O-ring for stock head gaskets. I think the head might be warped. The only way to check and see if the head is straight is by removing the stainless o-rings. These are not the wire lock set up though. I have tried to pick them out but with no success. Are there any other ways to go about this? That is, since the pick way does not work?
Thanks

Aha! Now I understand...
Sorry, this is beyond an area that I've dealt with, so I pass to the more experienced true O-ring guys. Anyone,,, anyone?

Look carefully and you will see where the wire meets. At this point use a small pick and gently pry up on the wire. Once you have it started, run the pick under the wire slowly working your way around. Use a set of good pliers to hold and pull on the wire while using the pick. Once you get it good and started you can almost pull the wire out with the pliers alone. Be carefull not to score the head receiver groove. Replacing the wire it just as easy. Make sure you don't cut it too short and ensure it's seated down inside the groove. I used a small rubber mallet to gently tap it down without crushing it....leave that up to the heads once they're torqued.