Removing Helicoil without tool

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Has anyone ever removed a helicoil by drilling out the hole again or do you absolutely need the special removal tool.

I'm going to be redoing a helicoil that didn't go right the first time (it's stripping the threads right off the bolt as it screws in) and want to see if I can do this without wiating on the removal tool.

TIA
Rich

The helicoils that I am familiar with are just springs. If you work at it hard enough you may be able to get an end worked out of the groove then pull it out. This can be a pain so good luck...

ks

If the helicoil is down a bit into the hole, it's a MAJOR PITA! I've done it a few times with screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, some blood, a live chicken for a sacrifice, and PLENTY of beer!!! But on a good note, it CAN be done. If the end of the helicoil is near the top of the hole, it's much easier. I just get the end of it with needle nose pliers and unscrew it out. :)

Derrick

hehehe....well, this one is WAY down in the hole which is why it's stripping the bolt again. It's in there cockeyed or something....

I shall eandeavor to remove it using needlenose pliers and a screwdriver.

If you hear anyone yelling cursewords at the top of their lungs this weekend, it's probably me. Hide the kids, folks.

rich