Removing hard water stains from the windshield?

You might try a little hand polishing compound by Dupont. It's the white paste not the harsher red rubbing compound.
I have machine compounded some severe chemical stains from windshields but it is a messy job.
You may not have to do the whole glass depending on how much staining you have.

HTH - Jimmy

Vinegar and water. They use it on colored boat hulls to remove the stains. Try it, it's cheap;)

Rich

you can also use the really fine steel wool.

Had a friend use that on thier mini van... windows looked like new. I would suggest trying it in a small corner first though:tongue:

Vinegar and a sheet of newspaper. The news paper has a fine grit to it. Also the local glass shop guys told me to use Bon Ammi bathroom cleaner with newspaper. But, now that everyone gets their news "on line", I don't think printing it off your printer would have the same effect.:biggrin:

The residual acids, etc., from water are easily removed by adhesive remover. 100% the most effective thing I've ever used to clean glass, it is one of my "trade secrets". After you use it, you'll realize that the water does not trickle down the glass the same way anymore!

I'll let you figure out why adhesive remover is perfect for this...

-BC

EZ Off oven cleaner is about the only thing I've found to remove the salt scum from our cars and windows...it WILL eat paint if spilled :eek:

I tried nearly all of the remedies mentioned above but a previous thread mentioned using "000" or "0000" steel wool available at a local hardware store and some chrome polish. I used "000" and tutrle wax chrome polish. It worked perfect. No scratches, nothing! It was great!

I go with 54Rich & turbofabricator

Use hot full strength vinegar. As hot as my rubber gloved hand can stand - apply with a SOFT scrubbee - removes the hardest water stains. Dry with the crinkled up newspaper classifieds if I can find them. Streak and stain free windows result.

I tried nearly all of the remedies mentioned above but a previous thread mentioned using "000" or "0000" steel wool available at a local hardware store and some chrome polish. I used "000" and tutrle wax chrome polish. It worked perfect. No scratches, nothing! It was great!

2nd that. It also works well on chrome with Mothers polish.

What specifically is a soft scrubbee? Need brand and product name. Thanks!

water stains

Little Humor Here, I've Found Out That A Big Hammer Out Does All Of The Other Suggestions

My fav for removing water stains and cleaning windows is liquid rubbing compound and a fine bronze wool. The rubbing compound is what is typically used on paint. Can get the Turtle wax stuff or similar inexpensive brand, and liquid, not paste.

The bronze wool can be had at a Home Depot or Lowe's or such. I like it better then steel wool. Steel wool can leave pieces behind which will cause rust stains.

RemoveBeforeFlight