Removing exhaust manifold to turbo exhaust housing stud

trbogn

I am in process of removing my stock turbo. I have the downpipe and exhaust elbow off already.

I am having trouble with the 3 bolts connecting the exhaust manifold to the exhaust housing. I soaked all of them with liquid wrench. I was able to crack free the 3 nuts on the bottom side but the threaded stud extending from the manifold to the turbo doesn't turn. How are these removed? The nut just comes off and there is a threaded stud left.

Thanks.

I am in process of removing my stock turbo. I have the downpipe and exhaust elbow off already.

I am having trouble with the 3 bolts connecting the exhaust manifold to the exhaust housing. I soaked all of them with liquid wrench. I was able to crack free the 3 nuts on the bottom side but the threaded stud extending from the manifold to the turbo doesn't turn. How are these removed? The nut just comes off and there is a threaded stud left.

Thanks.

The studs don't need to come out. Take the 3 nuts off. Take the J-Bracket off (2 nuts on the turbo, 2 bolts on the block; one of which has your battery ground wire). Disconnect the oil feed line. Remove the 2 bolts for the drain line and it should pull right off. (this is assuming the maf tube and the ic are already out too)

Thanks, I will give it a shot in the morning. It threw me for a loop cause it has threads on both ends, didnt seem like it would just come off.

HEAT is your friend...if you have access to torches to heat the nuts before you try and take them off it will be MUCH easier and far less likely to break them off...

Turbo removed, going to install the new one tonight. I didn't realize the studs stay with the turbo. Thanks for the help.

I see some photos of guys with sweet looking braided oil feed lines, looks like a nice dress up item for the turbo. Anyone know of a nice braided oil feed line?

Turbo removed, going to install the new one tonight. I didn't realize the studs stay with the turbo. Thanks for the help.

I see some photos of guys with sweet looking braided oil feed lines, looks like a nice dress up item for the turbo. Anyone know of a nice braided oil feed line?

Yes, talk to Mark at TR Customs

The drain tube is a pita to get back on if you haven't found out already. Some guys use studs instead of the two screws.

Thanks for the heads up, I won't be installing the new turbo until next week. Any tricks to make the install easier?

You might want a new drain pipe gasket. I didn't have much luck with the copper collector gasket sealing. Not sure if you even have one. I used hi temp copper rtv on the turbo to header and turbo to dp (or turbo to elbow if yours is stock).

Thanks for the tips, got my stocker out . Went ahead and welded a duttweiler neck on my IC and ported the stock elbow.

So just to be safe I should get a new drain pipe gasket and put hi temp copper sealer on the dp to elbow and header to turbo connections.

Stocker next to the bison TA60-1.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yea, a new RJC 3" downpipe would be great and I think my stock elbow and stock DP would choke this new turbo a bit. I wasn't really planning on spending another $600 though. Maybe I will just get it running and tuned with the stock stuff and then put a 3" DP on it later in the summer. It will prob take me a bit to tune this thing into the 11's anyway. Then when I'm into the 11's will prob have to strengthen up the trans and rear end. These things are money pits!

Last edited: