removing emmissons

sailor77

For strictly off road applications... what can be removed from an 85 to make the vehicle preform better on the track?

Let's look at this on a step by step basis. PCV, probably should leave the system intact (or could go to open breathers), as this releives crank case pressure and sends blowby back through the combustion system. EVAP, takes the excess fuel vapors and send it through the induction system to be burned by combustion. If you remove the cannister, where will the excess vapors go (especially if you leave the line under the hood), I hope (not that it has a high probability of happening) the spark plug wires a sealed well. I don't expect that you'll gain a lot of tenths removing a device that weights so little. I'll group spark, computer controls and O2 sensor together. You'll need these devices for fuel and ignition control. So, unless you switch to FAST or some other type of fuel and ignition control system, you're going to have to use something, or you could go back to carburetion:D . We finally get to the cat. Removing this device will free up the exhaust system, but I suspect that a free flowing cat will help you also. On the same topic, if the engine is operating efficiently, how hard is the cat really working to and how restrictive is the flow if clean emissions are passing through a device reduces HC, CO and NOx. But if you're planning on making fuel trim changes that make the system really rich, the cat may overheat and plug. The O2 sensor is there to make the three way cat work more efficiently, by keeping the mixture within a range to reduce Nox and add O2 to the cat to help with oxidation. Many members have claimed some time reductions in removing the cat and I don't have experience with that. Removing it will provide the numbers you'll be able to prove for yourself. That is the best I can answer for you.

The only emission equipment that I remove for the track is the cat. I do that since I run race gas at the track and don't want my $200 cat damaged. If you run UL gas you may want to try running with the cat and then without to see if gain any mph.