Removing cam gear

karolko

I am trying to get my cam gear off my motor and it is jammed on there pretty tight.

Can someone please tell me a easy way to get it off.

My crank gear is moving back and forth nice and easy, but the cam is stuck.

THANKS ALOT

Adrian

You probably need to learn more about the turbo Buick V-6 engines, in the early years they used a billet cam with a removable gear. :confused:

Adrian, soak it with a penetrating lube and try working it off using 2 pry bars, they can be stubborn sometimes. That is one very good reason to use a bolt-in retainer for the billet cams.

I guess i should have mentioned that i had a billet cam, so i unbolted the stud, took off the gear and spacer and now am left with the gear to contest with.

I am just afraid that prying forward on the cam gear might do something harmful to the cam bearings and the thrust washer holding the cam in. Will all that stuff be okay if i use some prybars on it?

Adrian

I suppose a puller would be dificult to get in there with the chain and what not..

use a propane torch to heat only the gear and not the cam snout, move the torch around in a circle pattern and have your pry bars at the ready, use common sense on the amount of force you are putting on it. you want to get the gear to about 300. A finger dipped in water quickly touching the gear will sizzle when its about 250-300. What type of retainer holds your cam in. It is also possible someone used locktite on the bolt and some got into the gear fittment.

use a propane torch to heat only the gear and not the cam snout, move the torch around in a circle pattern and have your pry bars at the ready, use common sense on the amount of force you are putting on it. you want to get the gear to about 300. A finger dipped in water quickly touching the gear will sizzle when its about 250-300. What type of retainer holds your cam in. It is also possible someone used locktite on the bolt and some got into the gear fittment.
dam,how to you check for spark:D

fast black racing, i have a Danny Bee Bronze thrust plate holding the cam in.

I am goign to try the penetrating oil and some heat with prybars. My only major issue is not hurting the bronze thrust plate.

Adrian

fast black racing, i have a Danny Bee Bronze thrust plate holding the cam in.

I am goign to try the penetrating oil and some heat with prybars. My only major issue is not hurting the bronze thrust plate.

Adrian
The heat will help you here, make sure to only heat the gear as you are trying to expand it, heat on the cam nose will be counter productive. Good luck let us know how it goes.