removing burnt rubber

powerwagon05

:confused: whats the best way to get caked on rubber off stainless exhaust and fenders :confused: someone told me accetone will that mess up the paint or tail pipes ? or is there something better ? also probably tar mixed in as well ! thanks

:confused: whats the best way to get caked on rubber off stainless exhaust and fenders :confused: someone told me accetone will that mess up the paint or tail pipes ? or is there something better ? also probably tar mixed in as well ! thanks

I think acetone is too agressive for the paint, might be ok on the tails. I'm not sure what will work as I still have it caked on mine too.

I would like to know as well. The last time I used a bug and tar remover. It worked, but took about ten applications to remove the rubber from the fender and tail pipes.

I've also heard wd-40 on a towel and wiped on the fender at the track b4 ur first run will make it so the rubber comes right off with normal car soap and water

WD-40 is the only reason my dad dosent beat me cuz of racing ahahha gunna have to try the mayo now that u mentioned it :rolleyes:

Take the car to a coin wash and use Castrol Super Clean degreaser. Did this with mine and it came right off with the high pressure wash. Used the bug and tar remover for what little was left. I think I used a wire brush on the tailpipes.

pledge furniture polish works good to put on before the burnouts. i used a wax and grease remover from a paint supply store to remove.

Kerosene works on the paint. For the exhaust, I used Mothers aluminum cleaner and a steal wool pad. The pads come in 3 or 4 levels of roughness, and the bag will tell you what it is recommended for. I shined up my entire ATR stainless steel exhaust and mufflers! They look great if you happen to be under my car:smile:

Here is what works for me! :D

We fabricated these shields which keeps 95% of the rubber off the quarter panel.

When painted the body color, it is hardly noticed. ;)

Attachments

• Burn out shield.JPG
    Burn out shield.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 178
Well after an hour and a half of not much progress on tail pipes trying several different products I found a can of stuff called goof off on my shelf! Don't know for sure were it came from but five minutes later all rubber, tar,dirt gone from tail pipes and fenders this stuff is awesome! Just be careful I got some on my skin and it feels like real bad sun burn! :biggrin:

Their is a product called Burnout Guard, spray it on let it dry, recoat and your rubber will come off with a garden hose spray off. it is made by the same folks that make DIAL IN. The stuff you use to put your dial on your windows. Nothing works better.