removing balancer bolt.....

87gninpa

i have a small compressor that i dont think will be able to do the job. i have two questions:
1) if i use the breaker bar under the frame trick, i will be cranking the engine with no oil in it....that cant be safe or is it?

2) by pushing the hell out of it with a lragre breaker bar(if i decide togo that route), is there any way i could damage the crank? or the block for that matter is i put a wrench in the flywheel to keep from rotating?

any help greatly appreciated

Using a very large breaker bar will cause you to grunt very hard! I should break loose though.

I thread some 5/16" inch braided steel cable thorugh a hold int he flexplate and tie the flexplate tot he frame. I can then remove the bolt with a 1/2" drive ratchet. You can use a 28mm or a 1 1/4" Socket to remove the bolt.

whatever you do dont stick anything behind the balancer... i wasnt so sure how the crank sensor worked, and ended up getting owned...

big pain in the butt and had to go to the dealer to use their tool to get it straightened out... luckily they didnt charge me :)

definately borrow an impact wrench if possible

Please, just use a small chain from one of the - balancer - pulley - bolts to the frame somewhere(for the back-up),, and a 4' piece of pipe and a breaker bar......

Don't use the flex-plate trick, or breaker bar on the frame trick. :rolleyes:

nevermind guys, my dad just held the flexplate with a breaker bar and it came right off with a 12"breaker bar, very easy.....

I usually use a pair of large vice grips on the flex plate and use a breaker bar. I reinstall the same way but use removable locktite.

First time I tried taking that balancer bolt out, I wedged a crowbar in between the inside of the balancer through a hole and the frame while I used a large breaker bar to undo the bolt...BAD IDEA! I ended up cracking the balancer itself and had to get a new one for $100 used:rolleyes:

i took my balencer off to get to my cam- mmm ingersol rand quiet gun- 600 ft lbs of torque busted it right have without a sweat from a 13 gallon compressor