Removed 25 year old code alarm.

Stevezx900

I removed a dead code alarm from my 87 GN. Took be 2 hrs to remove. Everything works as it should except the pwr door

That's odd. The way you actuate the doors doesn't involve cutting a circuit (like ignition kill). When wired correctly the alarm should trigger the cars stock relays behind the ECM.

I guess the first place to look would be the stock relays. If the installer back then was a hack, check the grommet running into the doors for any signs of wiring. A good installer won't show his tracks there, a hack will leave cuts or the wires on the outside of the loom.

This relay was going to the alarm. Don't know if it has something g to do with it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378742928.416705.jpg

That's most likely the relay for the starter kill. Most of the relays for power door locks are internal to the brain of the alarm.

From the pics we know it was installed by a hack. Now the trick if to find out what was changed to only make the door locks work with the alarm hooked up.

Does that relay belong to the car or alarm? I was afraid I removed something I shouldn't have. This alarm was a mess. Wires were soldiered had to do a lot of work to take it out.

the relay your pictured belongs to the alarm. Depending on what alarm you have will determine if you have external door lock relays or internal.

If you lay in the DS floorboard and look up you might see a large wire that's been cut with two extensions on it. That will be a starter kill circuit. Those two wires will run to the starter kill relay. That can be removed and the factory wires be put back together. (or you can move a wire on the relay and put a hidden button that has to be pushed to let the car crank over).

Thanks for all the input. I managed to reconnect the starter wire. I'm glad the relay didn't belong to the car. I see wires that have been tampered with in the drivers kick panel. I will take the door apart this weekend and start testing wires.

Sometimes guys would "5 wire" the door locks because they didn't know any better
This means the actual motor wires are cut in half.
It's also possible you blew a fuse when you pulled the unit out....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

all good info, and find cuts wires, find their mates, and reconnect....