Remove side molding

Brady

Any tips on removing it that wont hurt the paint, just peel it off and then use some type of solvent to remove the adhesive?? If so what works best and where can i get it?

Thanks

I don't have much better advice that don't do it. :redface: My car had them, and you can pretty much still see where they were. Partially because they took some paint with them in spots, and other areas there is some "fading" if you want to call it that.
Just my 2 cents.

As Mark & Tim both said, some are riveted on and you will have fading. You can use a heat gun to soften the adhesive, but be really careful not to blister your paint. If you get your paint too hot, it will bubble. If you really take your time and go slowly, it will come off easier.

Be aware that it is discontinued and hard to find, if you ever want to put it back on.

Hope that helps.

Even if you pull it off clean, the adhesive will have saturated and damaged the paint underneath. Even if you can wet sand and buff the paint to remove the "stain" it left, it will come back within a couple days. Properly repainting the door is the only way to do away with it.

Mine is rivited on as well....when i repaint the car,they are coming off!!!Dont really care for the way they look..

Just get some 60 lb test fishing line in the sporting goods section.Take a section of it and pull thru between the molding and the sheetmetal - if you are lucky you can get under the adhesive and it will come off clean. Use 3m adhesive remover to clean up what's left on the car. You won't be pulling on the molding and distorting it. Then you may be able to cut off the remaining adhesive left on the molding with a sharp utility knife and can reinstall it using 2 siding molding tape.:)

Just get some 60 lb test fishing line in the sporting goods section.Take a section of it and pull thru between the molding and the sheetmetal - if you are lucky you can get under the adhesive and it will come off clean. Use 3m adhesive remover to clean up what's left on the car. You won't be pulling on the molding and distorting it. Then you may be able to cut off the remaining adhesive left on the molding with a sharp utility knife and can reinstall it using 2 siding molding tape.:)

X1 as he said. Worked for me.

Bruce '87 Grand National