Removal of return fuel line - how hard is it?

Rogue74

Someone in a thread I posted a while back about my fuel pressure gauge not registering changes from the regulator mentioned removing the fuel return line off the regulator to see if it was blocked. I've never messed with it so how hard is it to remove and basically what is involved? I wanted to see if this was a quick thing to do because I'm in Ohio without a garage, so I'd have to do this is 30-40 degree weather... :D

See if you can find a fuel line repair kit or something with the proper fitting to go into the regulator that you can put a hose on to a can. Might have to put a good bend in the pipe on it for access.

Otherwise look for the splice fitting point where the larger 3/8" line meets the smaller return hard line. Under the car.

It's under the power steering box area, takes a bit of work to find it but not that much. You have to jack the car up and take some good light with you.

Warm the car up first, get some heat. :)

My plugged up line was right at this joint causing 60psi. fuel pressure one winter. Used a piece of stainless wire to clear it out almost the size of a coat hanger.

You can separate this joint and perhaps get a hose over it to a can to do your test also.

I forgot I posted this, so sorry it took so long to respond!

What you're saying is to remove the return line, hook up another hose to a can to catch the return fuel, and start the car to see if I can get the correct pressure? That would determine if the return line is plugged?

Yes preferably as close to the regulator as possible for the hose to the can.