Remote start- not buick related

Bill_Ritter

Plays with Fire
I want to put a remote starter/ alarm system on my 2004 F-250. It's a 6.0L power stroke diesel. I did a SEARCH on this topic and only came up with people asking ?'s about bulldog remote starts. I DO NOT want to put a bulldog on my truck, i have no problem spending a little extra money for a good quality alarm/remote start.

Do any of you have any suggestions/experiences you could share with me to make this decision a little easier??? I was looking at the viper and clifford models, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks -Bill

I have a Viper 791 on my GN and it has the remote start feature, really cool! I know for a fact that this system has the capability for the glowplug relay you will need for that diesel!

That was actually one of the models that i was looking at. Have you had any problems with it? thanks for the reply

I work for Ford and we use a few after market ones that are really good, I have not had any problems with them. If you are interested, PM me and I will sell you one of ours at cost because you are a board member. ;)

No problems yet and I've had it the GN for almost a year! I did a ton of research before I bought it and everyone I talked to said stay with a DEI unit. They are like the Chevy 350 of alarms.

I put a Bulldog remote start on my parents car and it worked great for about a year. It then failed and engaged the starter full time with the ignition on. My mom had no idea what the noise was and let the car run at idle for a while. It destroyed the bearings in the starter but fortunately did not hurt the flex plate. I sent the unit back to Bulldog and they replaced it with an "updated" unit but offered no info on the "update". I have no idea if it will fail again but it has been working fine for 6 months. I would recommend to buy a different manufacturer based on the mode of failure. I cannot complain about their customer service though.

Got it, I will hook you up in the am and ship it out for ya if you decide to use what we (Ford) uses. ;)